Ditra heat Duo. Tips n tricks. So far I hate it! [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Ditra heat Duo. Tips n tricks. So far I hate it!

Elkski
06-29-2019, 09:12 AM
This is my second attempt putting down the ditra heat duo. I even used 1/4 inch by 3/16 deep v notch trowel instead of the little Kerdi thing. I pre wet the floor starting an hour early with about four coats. I weighed out my thinset and added water plus a bunch more maybe 50% more by my 2 ND attempt. I only tried to do a 75 X25" strip rather than the full 124 in. I even used a roller to put pressure on things but when I checked my coverage it was better than last time but it did not please me. It was not looking like the Schluter picture in the ditra heat installation guide.
I pulled it up and scraped off all the thinset went outside and added more water and tried it again. Still no good so I pulled it up , hosed off the ditra duo , and scraped off the floor and I'm wondering what to do next?
I read where another installer likes to back butter it. Another one commented why don't I cheat and use modified thinset. I'm putting this over a floor that was flattened with SLC. it is not perfectly flat because I did a little late roll with my spiked roller so it has some dimples but nothing that should cause any problems.
At this time I don't see how they would even recommend using the ditra trowel 1/8 inch by 1/8. In fact they should specify bigger.
Since it's purpose is trying to get some thermal barrier properties with this felt you don't want it totally full of thinset but you still want a nice Bond. one of the issues is the waffles seem to not form a flat bottom and are so flexible so when you press down it only presses at the edge of the waffles.
Any tips?

Sponsored Links

cx
06-29-2019, 10:28 AM
I don't see how they would even recommend using the ditra trowel 1/8 inch by 1/8.That 1/8th" square notched trowel is not a Ditra trowel, Teddy, that's a Kerdi trowel.

The Ditra trowel is an 11/64ths" square notch.

They also have a Ditra Heat/Ditra XL trowel, but I think that's just a common 1/4" square notch.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Elkski
06-29-2019, 11:46 AM
Boy I feel stupid. Again. I even glanced at my installation handbook picture today . I see it now. It says 1/4" x 1/4.
I won't ever forget this.

Elkski
06-29-2019, 07:03 PM
1/4" trowel was my issue plus I added close to 2 x
the specified water in my Kerabond. Maybe best to delete this embarrassing post unless it may help others.