Planning to build my own shower, processes [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Planning to build my own shower, processes

andyl9063
06-26-2019, 11:47 AM
Hi guys,

I got a quote to lay tiles in master bath suite, build 2 showers and it comes out to be about $8500 just for labor.
I lay tiles before but that was a rush job, I'm going to be taking my time with this.

I'm looking at building two showers 4x6 and 4x3. Both with frameless door. This was the most comprehensive guide I've seen cabindiy . com how-to build-a-shower-pan
If you know any others, please let me know. It will be my first time mudding so I will be practicing on a sample box.

Questions:
1. Do you need to silicone or nail glue the liner down to the floor?

Sponsored Links

Lazarus
06-26-2019, 12:09 PM
No, but more to the point, the liner is NOT attached directly to the floor...but is laid over a mudbed "preslope" in preparation for the final mudbed upon which you actually lay the floor tiles.

Davy
06-26-2019, 06:08 PM
Hi Andy, welcome. The cabindiy shower instructions aren't bad but they leave out many important things. I would check out our "liberry" in the dark blue bar above and find the shower construction thread. That would give you a good start. Ask all the questions you want and it's best to keep it all here on this thread.

Kman
06-26-2019, 06:21 PM
Right 'chere (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5434).

PC7060
06-26-2019, 09:46 PM
And for the good bad and ugly, you can read my master bath shower (https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1298902#post1298902) thread :D

andyl9063
06-27-2019, 06:39 AM
Thanks guys. It is new construction so I have a clean slate.
Right now, it's all framed and subfloors are up. I have huber blue plus subflooring. Planning to tile the whole master bathroom so probably put down thinset, cement board, then tile. Any differences or recommendation between brands for the board?

Questions:
1. Mudding, do I have to mix enough to do the whole shower pan at 1 time or can i mix enough to do portions at a time?
2. How much pressure do I need to put when screening the mud?

cx
06-27-2019, 07:45 AM
Welcome, Andy. :)

1. You want to mix your deck mud in quantities that you can use in half an hour or so. You can mix as you go, so long as you keep a fresh edge on your mud all the time. If you work alone as some of us do, I'd strongly recommend you get you a Bucket Mortar Mixer (https://www.contractorsdirect.com/Bucket-Mortar-Mixer?gclid=CjwKCAjw0tHoBRBhEiwAvP1GFe1J3TRA-gRzdaIyM6twjB_OS1FP45kAWERSKDxfzzt_Lc0leBTaohoCtj0QAvD_BwE). You can mix your mud dry in 5 gallon buckets and stage them all near your shower, then just add water and mix for a minute when ready for more mud. Start at the back of the shower and work your way out the door.

2. I believe the word you're looking for is screeding. You need only as much pressure as it takes to cut your mud to the shape you want. You want the mud packed firmly before you start screeding, but you need not beat it into submission. I find a few whacks with a wood float is enough to prepare it if it's mixed correctly.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Elkski
06-27-2019, 07:55 AM
It's best to mix in batches with a helper but you can do it alone. It's hard to mix enough in one go even if you can set it all in 30 mins.
You don't have to pack it like a sand casting. It's fairly easy to feel how much to tamp it down . You just get it solid and a bit high then trim it off with sharp edge of your scree. You get it close at first then go back and check things and use straight edge in all directions. It should be a flat plane right? It will not get the wet cement top look unless you use to rich of mixture or straight sand topping mix. It will look like sliced meat loaf. Haha. I should add that I've only done one day of mud bed work. It was filling a better bench but it did give me quite a bit of experience working with the vertical as well as overhead surfaces.

andyl9063
06-28-2019, 08:40 AM
Ok I couldn't find my answer in the search.

CBU or ditra over floor for tiles? Are there limitations in terms of tiles?
I do like the ditra is easier...

Davy
06-28-2019, 03:50 PM
Nothing smaller than 2 inch tiles when using Ditra.