today i tore out porcelain tile set in versabond over cutback adhesive. [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : today i tore out porcelain tile set in versabond over cutback adhesive.

pman6
06-26-2019, 12:12 AM
I slammed the tile with a sledge hammer, and couldn't break them.

Despite the 50 year old cutback adhesive underneath, the tile stayed bonded for the last 7 years.

It wasn't the strongest bond though, but just enough to stay put.

I had to use some force to chip out the mortar, but it came off in chunks with cutback residue on those chunks.

so it seems a waste of time to try to remove all of the cutback before tiling.

$14 bag of polymer thinset will still stick sufficiently to cutback.

Sponsored Links

cx
06-26-2019, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the report, Paul, and I'll add that if you like it, you do it. But here at TYW we're still likely to continue to recommend what all the manufacturers of tile setting products recommend, which is to mechanically reduce the cutback material to no more than a stain on the substrate before bonding with their thinset mortars.

And I'll still recommend the same for you should you encounter the situation again. :)

My opinion; worth price charged.

pman6
06-26-2019, 10:04 PM
yeah i know what is proper.

I tried wet wire wheeling some of the cutback, and nope, I quit shortly.
Too much time to grind one spot.

in 1966, the original builder put vinyl/composite tile with cutback in the entire 1450 sqft of the house!!!

This is not the final floor, so maybe in the future, I'll rent a big grinder.
But that asbestos... tricky stuff wet grinding.

Shady at Best
06-26-2019, 11:03 PM
So, uhh, Whats cutback?

Edit: Google told me. I love me some versabond. ITs pretty sticky. Not sure on the cutback though. I have been able to pull up tiles with my bare hands that were set over cutback. But who knows what was used. You old timers are cheap and complain about any thinset that cost more that $6.99 a bag. ;)

speed51133
06-27-2019, 07:40 AM
I think it is just another name for NON-organic mastic.

Fast eddie part deux
06-27-2019, 03:16 PM
Be careful, some of the really old cutback contained asbestos. And if it is 50 yrs old ... falls into the right age.