Hi everyone, I’m Toast... [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone, I’m Toast...

Toast
06-23-2019, 03:15 PM
Howdy folks. Medium time lurker, and absolutely grateful for the wealth of knowledge and experience to be found on here.

I bought a house about two years ago that needed some love, so that’s what burns up most of my free time. Active duty, not married, so I am generally unable to make appointments with professionals unless they are willing to work weekends. Thus, I turn to the internet to alleviate my lack of experience, and I take my time.

Never ending project of late is a bathroom gut/reinstall. House was built in the early 60s, walk in shower leaked for years, decided I’d tackle it myself. Literally, it’s just me.

The room is about 7.5x8. Mud floor, mud plaster walls, walk in shower. Tear out took about two weeks worth of leave and at least 8 full pick up truck loads of debris. Removed the rotted subfloor, replaced a couple rotted joists, sistered some fresh ones for good measure. Put a new subfloor down, replaced the plumbing (plumbing in 3 of 4 walls now), moved the shitter and shower drain to accommodate a larger shower (existing was 30x30in, new will be about 36x44). Discovered pretty much all of the studs were bowed in one direction or the other, shaved and/or filled accordingly.

Last weekend I put in the mud floor and I think I may have gotten ahead of myself. Original plan was for a barrier free shower with a glass enclosure, but it looks like I may actually want/need a curb. Based on the height of the mud floor and the height of the drain I have selected, I will be only slightly over the 1/4”/ft requirement, which is legal as far as I can tell, but it isn’t much of a bowl for a center drain shower of this size. In the event of a clog, I fear it may overfill and leave the shower pan before I have the ability to do anything about it.

If anyone is still reading by now, my question is this: is there a way to attach a curb to dry deck mud? I’ll post a picture of what I’m working with below. Everything that does not have mud will be the shower pan. The edge of the mud is where I’d like to put a curb, so it would physically rest on the existing deck mud. Will eventually be a kerdi shower with ditra over the bathroom floor. Hopefully I don’t have to tear out everything I have already put in. That would seriously suck.

Genuinely appreciate you dudes sharing lifetimes worth of experience.

V/r,

Toast

Sponsored Links

Lazarus
06-23-2019, 04:25 PM
Certainly. You can build it out of bricks or masonry stone...bonded with thinset and use the Kerdi to run it up and over the curb. :tup2:

Toast
06-23-2019, 04:39 PM
Well, now that you mention it, I do feel foolish for having asked. If tile will stick to deck mud, so will bricks. That definitely makes sense. 🤦

Thank you, sir. I will proceed with confidence.

jadnashua
06-23-2019, 05:15 PM
Concrete pavers work, too...as does Kerdiboard.

makethatkerdistick
06-23-2019, 06:19 PM
If foot space inside the shower is a concern at this point, you can make your curb really slim by cutting the paver in half with a tile saw. That way, you're not locked into any specific size. In fact, I wished I had made one of my curbs slimmer but didn't think of it at the time.

Elkski
06-23-2019, 08:05 PM
Sounds like you've done a very good job so far and looks like great workmanship. I say go curbless. All that nice height with deck mud. Ditra on the mud bed could raise the room tile. For extra security maybe go ahead and put Kerdi band up the wall around the room as much as possible you're having a glass shower wall and door right?

Davy
06-23-2019, 08:31 PM
I think he's concerned about having enough pitch as it is. He could make a short curb. The shower foot print is already established. A narrow curb wouldn't help give more inside space but would definitely help with space outside the shower. A short, narrow brick curb is probably what I would do.