Schluter trim [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Schluter trim

Mek
06-18-2019, 06:00 PM
I bought Schluter trim for the outside edges and top of where my shower tile will stop (not tiling to the ceiling). My problem is how do I measure, cut the trim and install it by pressing it into the cement on my first row and know my last row at the top will include that 1/16th grout line before installing the top trim? Without trimming the top tile. My thought was to install the bottom row. Measure from the top of the tile to approx. where I want the tile to stop, then layout on the floor tile and spacers until I reach the right height, then add the distance from the floor to the top of the tile... plus 1/16 inch.

Sponsored Links

Mek
06-18-2019, 06:53 PM
OR, could I use a thin object to clean out an inch from under the tile edge then when it's setup push a little runny Kerabond or silicone behind the tile and push in the already trimmed Schluter until I establish the nice grout line.

Zm83
06-18-2019, 07:59 PM
I’m not that far along but will be trying something similar with the trim. Can you get it close to final height within 1/2” or so and not thinset the top 1” or so and cut the piece with a dremel in place once you get to the last row?

I’m new to tile work so take my suggestion with caution.

Carbidetooth
06-19-2019, 09:14 AM
Two ways I've done this. I miter the jolly 'cuz I'm an old carpenter.

1. Tile the back wall first to define the top and carry your level line around adjacent walls.

2.Carefully lay out tiles on flat surface with spacers and transfer those dimensions to wall. I use a story stick. Give yourself some wiggle room so you can stretch the pattern via grout joints as you approach the top if need be. Depending on tile and pattern, I've cut the top tile a smidgen to fit.

I suspect this is why folks tile to ceiling, although I like the look of holding tile down from ceiling some. It also mitigates the issue of a non level ceiling which is almost always the case.

Elkski
06-19-2019, 07:47 PM
I would plan on cutting off 1/4" on the top tile. Trust in your laser. I have found the best way to miter the jolly is to cut 1/8" big with hacksaw on a new plastic miter box and then use my belt sander set at 45 degree. I have used the hot glue to hole pieces in position before mudding or when fitting them.
You can also leave the first piece 2- 3' short and plan on a butt joint. by then you will have good date on spacing.

Tool Guy - Kg
06-20-2019, 10:52 PM
Teddy,

I think your voice dictation program is acting up again because your posts are reading kinna wonky again.

:shrug: