Using Ditra as a spacer for thin mosaic trim [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Using Ditra as a spacer for thin mosaic trim

dbcriss
06-17-2019, 09:00 PM
I've a back splash area where the customer has supplied some very thin sheets of mosaic tiles that I'll cut into 4" strips. When placed next to the wall tiles they look recessed. What's a good way to flush them out to the main level? I was thinking of using strips of Ditra.

Question #2, the wall is painted. If using Ditra, would Schluter Set be a good thinset to use? Or maybe modified Versabond.

Thanks, David

Sponsored Links

ZZZK
06-17-2019, 09:09 PM
One thing you can do is set the field tile leaving a space for your thib 4" mosaic accent. Then you cut a screed out of thin wood to the depth you desire and fill the space with thinset and screed it out and let it dry. No ditra necessary.

Radas
06-18-2019, 05:04 AM
You can use ditra or screed medium bed unmodified thinset in the area to bring the mosaic up to level.

I would screed unmodified unless you have ditra leftover that you don't mind wasting.

jadnashua
06-18-2019, 09:45 PM
You can screed it, or just pick the appropriate depth notched trowel. The tops of the notches will act like stilts after it cures...then, apply more to then set the mosaics. Since it's on a wall, you can probably get by with smaller tile than their minimum of 2x2" which would be required for a floor if using Ditra.