Shower door [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Shower door

JLALKR
06-01-2019, 07:00 PM
We are interested in a large format wavy tile in our shower but are concerned about mounting the shower doors against a tile that is not flat. It could obviously lead to leakage and maybe also cracking because the tile will have pressure points.

A designer at one store said it’s a fine idea and that is what caulk is for. A salesman at another said don’t do it that way and recommended mounting the door frame against the cement board and tiling around it.

Is the latter an acceptable way to hang the doors? The board will have Redgard over it.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links

Kman
06-01-2019, 07:34 PM
I have set the track on the curb and tiled up to it, so in that respect I guess it would be the same on the wall. The only reason I have done that is because I won't use screws on the curb and that was the better way to secure it.

When it comes to mounting on the wall I would prefer to set it on the face of the tile then silicone the gap. In your case, I guess the question would be how irregular is the face of the tile? Are we talking about 1/16" or so?

If this is a frameless job, then I definitely would not mount to the cement board.

JLALKR
06-01-2019, 08:10 PM
It is a frameless door and the gaps are about that small. Thanks for your advice, Kevin. Looks-wise, I could go either direction, but I was weighing the salesman’s conviction against what I’ve seen as customary.
Since I posted, I held the tile up to a flat metal piece and I don’t think there would be a risk of cracking due to uneven pressure.

Can you explain more about why a frameless door makes the answer different?

makethatkerdistick
06-01-2019, 10:28 PM
I've mounted two frameless hinges on my wavy wall tile to secure a 70 lb glass door. It's been fine. Just make sure your tile has 100% thinset coverage behind so that there are no cavities. Obviously, you want full stud support behind it to screw your four hinge screws into something solid. As a matter of caution, I put one layer of Kerdi membrane (very thin) between the tile and the hinge. I added a bit of silicone on the wall to fill in the voids when tightening the screws. There is enough support.

I personally would never tile around a hinge. That seems odd.

Kman
06-01-2019, 10:49 PM
Yep, tiling around a track might work, but around a hinge might not. The tile might even interfere with the working parts of the hinge.

JLALKR
06-01-2019, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the input and the picture, Wolfgang. Glad to hear that you had personal experience and weren’t just guessing like the people in the stores.

I misunderstood the frameless issue. I’m looking at Kohler Levity sliding doors which I believe have wall jambs and only the doors themselves are frameless. Your pic helped clear that up. As we haven’t ordered them yet, I am open to other recommendations.

JLALKR
06-02-2019, 07:49 AM
Kevin, I didn’t see your second response last night. I may have drifted off before I pressed send. Thanks.
Looks like I’ll keep it simple and go over the tile. The studs are right where they should be so plenty of support there.
Thanks to both for the help!

makethatkerdistick
06-02-2019, 09:13 AM
I have hard water and had the bottom track of my Kohler tub sliders corrode in two spots. This was anodized aluminum. They replaced under warranty but still....

Not saying this is a Kohler issue. More my hard water problem. Regardless, I'd opt for a.) ease of maintenance and b.) whatever design minimizes the presence of metal framing involved in my shower doors and, lastly, c.) avoiding metal framing on the curb.

The actual lack of metal on true frameless doors is a maintenance advantage, I think. Now, glass can still "corrode" (for lack of a better term) over the years with hard water and lack of maintenance. I've only ever seen this in drinking glasses but glass can become cloudy and unsightly. Squeegeeing it after each shower is important in my opinion. I question the long-term usefulness of these so-called glass pre-treatments that are expensive (and promise to fill in the "pores" of the glass, making it impervious to stains).

JLALKR
06-02-2019, 09:11 PM
I think I’m looking forward more to the new doors than the rest of the bathroom. We put up with corroded door frames for too long.