Vent Pipes in Shower Pan Area [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Vent Pipes in Shower Pan Area

gleno
06-01-2019, 06:14 PM
I removed a prefab fiberglass shower with the intention of installing a shower pan and an awesome tile shower. I discovered a vent pipe for the plumbing intruding into the space on the back wall. That is, on the back wall at the floor, the pipe rises above the floor about 1 3/4" from the wall and angles up into the shower space before moving into the wall space. I'm not sure yet if I can move the pipe to not intrude into the space. I have access from underneath but it looks very tight and the piece intruding is going directly into a large Y pipe fitting.
What would you do in this situation? The drain is 17 inches from the back wall. My ideas so far (in order of what I think might work):
1.) Add 2 x 4's onto the studs on the back wall laying flat to fur-out the wall and lose a little space in the shower. Since the studs are 1 1/2" wide and the pipe is 1 3/4" that just leaves 1/4" of pipe still in the space. It seems like that might be ok since I'll be doing a pre-slope (thanks to advice on other threads) and then a mortar base on top of my rubber shower pan.
2.) Go ahead and install the shower pan and assume the mortar will cover it.
3.) Move the pipe one way or another completely into the wall.
I appreciate any advice.
1st picture is a side view - as if you're lying on your side. It's also upside down.
Second picture is a top view. Also turned weird. Sorry

Sponsored Links

Kman
06-01-2019, 07:42 PM
Welcome to the forum, Glen. :)

Maybe a wider shot will help. I can't picture what you have there for sure, but I think I have an idea. Hint: Try taking the picture with your phone sideways (landscape) and upload it that way. That's what I have to do on my phone.

What about a bench in that corner? Or a foot rest?

And is that an electrical cable running through there?

gleno
06-01-2019, 08:00 PM
Hi Kevin,
Hopefully this picture helps.
The pipe on the left is the real concern. The one on the right also intrudes but much less than the left.
Yes, there is an electrical cable but I don't think it will be a problem. :)
A bench? unfortunately, the pipe is in the wrong place. On the side of the shower.
Thanks for your consideration.

smifwal
06-01-2019, 08:41 PM
Can we get a picture from below of the main stack, you may be able to reconfigure it to get that vent in to the stud bay out of your shower.

gleno
06-01-2019, 09:29 PM
First image is looking up to both pipes
Second is looking up at the left pipe
Third is looking down the bay where the left pipe goes up.
The left pipe is a toilet. Right pipe is the shower drain.
Thanks for taking a look!

Kman
06-01-2019, 09:38 PM
A corner bench would go there and (I think) cover that vent. It would just have to be a monument bench, not a floating one.

If not, I'd do one of two things.

1. Add 2x2's to the studs on the back wall and take the small loss of space.

2. Build a half wall against the existing back wall and have a shelf along the entire wall. Still a loss of floor space, but takes care of any shelf issue.

gleno
06-01-2019, 09:53 PM
Bench could work...
That shelf idea along the whole back wall seems like a great idea.
Thank you!