Tiling Over Radiant Floor [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tiling Over Radiant Floor

WNKloostra
06-01-2019, 01:02 PM
Hello everyone,

I am currently renovating my kitchen and planning on putting in a radiant floor. The system I am currently looking at is the Quik Trak from Uponor. It is 7"x48"x1/2" plywood panel with a groove for the tubing. I want to get your opinion on what the adverse effects might be if I were to put the Ditra membrane directly on the quik trak panels? The installation manual recommends a cement board or plywood on top of the Quik Trak panel with the crack isolating membrane on top of the cement board/plywood. I am just not sure what purpose the cement board has in this application, since plywood is a suitable substrate for the crack isolating membrane and tile. And the panels I want to use are just 1/2" pieces of plywood.
My only thought (maybe im answering my own question) is that maybe the quik trak panels could experience some vertical movement and the cement board would negate this effect?

I hope this was clear and Thanks in advance for your comments/directions!

Sponsored Links

Davy
06-01-2019, 03:10 PM
The cement board is an isolation membrane, just like the Ditra. Have you looked into Ditra Heat?

Kman
06-01-2019, 03:12 PM
Welcome to the forum, Nathan. :)

I'm not familiar with that product, and I can't find their installation instructions on their website (https://www.uponorpro.com/catalog/products/uponor-radiant-heating-and-cooling-systems/heat-transfer-panels-and-plates/quik-trak-return-panels.aspx#/catalog/products/uponor-radiant-heating-and-cooling-systems/heat-transfer-panels-and-plates/quik-trak.aspx).

Is this going over a slab or plywood subfloor? How are the panels attached to the floor?

Absent some specific instructions regarding your questions, I think you'd have to get the approval from the manufacturers of both products.

That's just my short answer for now. With some more information, you might get more specific answers from us here.

jadnashua
06-01-2019, 03:18 PM
You need something to bridge over the pex tubing, and thinset alone or even with cbu on top with thinset underneath may be somewhat problematic. CBU is not structural. Wood isn't a great conductor, so having something that is on top of it has some advantages. That will also help minimize striping of the pex, even with the diffuser underneath.

If the design would support it, I'd prefer to embed the stuff in a mud bed, or use something like this https://www.schluter.com/schluter-us/en_US/Modular-Screed-Systems/Schluter%C2%AE-BEKOTEC/p/BEKOTEC It ends up thinner and responds better while also minimizing the stack up of weight from the materials and helps decouple the subfloor from the tile.