Outside the alcove [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Outside the alcove

chaindriven
05-21-2019, 12:09 PM
I'm at the part in this bathroom reno where I've fixed all the framing and done all the rough, and am wondering what the best practice is for continuing tile, waterproofing, and backerboard past the edge of the tub.

Here's what I'm planning...In the photo, the joint between the new 2x6 on edge and old 2x4 is 32" from the corner. I'm thinking of running Durock to that joint, where drywall will take over. Will thinset and mesh tape that joint and then apply hydroban a couple inches past the joint. This will leave me with alternating courses of a full tile and two half-tiles, each with a 2" bullnose. The bullnose straddles the joint between the hydroban and untreated drywall (I'm painting, but well shy of the tile, and will fill that in later.)

BTW...If you notice the gap between the tub and wall, it has yet to be furred out. In process (see plywood at bottom plate). But wanted to resolve this first.

Am I doing anything wrong?
Thanks, Mark

PS been lurking a long time. This forum gets mad props for being a place where people can disagree without getting ugly. Who knew there was such a place on the internet?? ;)

Sponsored Links

cx
05-21-2019, 12:15 PM
Welcome, Mark. :)
I'm thinking of running Durock to that joint, where drywall will take over. Will thinset and mesh tape that joint and then apply hydroban a couple inches past the joint.Forgive my density, but you don't appear to have "a couple inches" of wall past that joint. What am I missing?

Carbidetooth
05-21-2019, 12:21 PM
In a perfect world, joints in drywall and tile backer wouldn't land on framing joints, but if that's unworkable, I'd just make that 2x6 and 2x4 as close to one-ness as possible with fasteners and maybe PL Premium. Mesh tape and bed as you describe should be adequate.

If you're furring the whole wall, why not rip a strip of ply to bridge across the 2x4 and 2x6?

chaindriven
05-21-2019, 01:50 PM
Peter- You mean like this? :tup1:
That was the plan all along, but I was wanting to get my question asked.
I should just have waited until I had it done. :D

chaindriven
05-21-2019, 01:54 PM
CX-
The Hydro Ban is brush applied to the cement backer and the drywall, just beyond the joint. Now, I'm afraid I'm the dense one. I posted an updated photo in a different reply...
Mark

Carbidetooth
05-21-2019, 02:24 PM
I think CX was imagining a doorway to the right of tub there. I'm assuming that's a stud bay...correct?

chaindriven
05-21-2019, 02:26 PM
Ahhhh. Now I get it. Correct. It's a stud bay.

cx
05-21-2019, 02:59 PM
Thanks, Peter. Yes, that's what I thought.

chaindriven
06-26-2019, 12:28 PM
So, I don't know exactly how this happened (a lie: it was a few moments of inattention while setting, and then a few more while "reviewing").

Anyway, I have two tiles that stand proud of the rest of the floor (shown in harshest possible lighting). They stand about 1/16" proud of the rest of the floor on one edge. These were set yesterday. I'll take whatever time and care it takes to get these out and properly replace them, but I'm not sure what the best approach is: Inclined to drill a series of holes with a small diamond bit as deep as the tile is thick, and then use a bung chisel to break up the pieces. Other thoughts welcome...

I did a search, but most of the results were wall related.

Other info: 5/16" porcelain, Laticrete 253, 1/4" CBU over 1-1/4" plywood (two sheets), 3/16" X 1/4" v-notch trowel carefully held at a right angle.

Thanks for any advice.

ss3964spd
06-26-2019, 01:00 PM
Since they're over CBU, Mark, I'd just use a nail punch. Start at a corner of the high edge, work your way back.

chaindriven
06-26-2019, 01:22 PM
How beautifully, primitively simple. Thanks :-)

ss3964spd
06-27-2019, 05:57 AM
Right?

That's how I removed a 12X24 tile on my floor that I screwed up. LOL