cleaning up tile spacers [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : cleaning up tile spacers

SpaceCadet
05-20-2019, 07:15 AM
I re-use tile spacers and it takes a while to clean them up after I pull them out of the wall. Naturally the thinset is hard by then. Usually just scrape the stuff off with a sponge, wire brush, or my fingers. Any trick to cleaning them quickly? These are the brutus plastic horse-shoe type spacers.

Sponsored Links

makethatkerdistick
05-20-2019, 07:31 AM
I just clean mine mechanically in crucial spots so I can reuse them. If you want them completely clean you could try something like this. This also works for tools that have dried mortar on them.

https://www.custombuildingproducts.com/products/care-maintenance/cleaners/tilelab/tilelab-sulfamic-acid-cleaner.aspx

cx
05-20-2019, 07:49 AM
Paul, when I use hard plastic wedges I keep a one-gallon bucket at hand with a strong vinegar solution in it and just toss the spacers in that as I remove them. very easy to rinse off any mortar after they soak a while. I prefer to use the 9% vinegar rather than the usual 5% solution.

SpaceCadet
05-23-2019, 07:01 AM
Thank you. The vinegar worked great. I'll keep the CBP stuff in mind if I need something more powerful.

thuffner3
05-23-2019, 07:40 PM
I put ours in a 5 gal bucket of clean water and spin the mixer on then, does a right nice job.
Neil

Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
05-25-2019, 09:04 AM
I've gone straight for the muriatic acid before. No messing around. :lol2: