Grouting Pebble Stones in a shower [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Grouting Pebble Stones in a shower

Greg H
05-19-2019, 03:22 PM
I am getting ready to build my shower pan. I have a concrete slab home. Once I get my mortar bed and pan liner installed, I will be ready to tile. I am looking to install pebble stone, ( the flat stones), for the floor. I have a couple of samples of the 12" x 12" mesh cards with the stones attached for ease of installation to look at. I noticed that most all of the stones have been set close to each other on the mesh. All of the different stones I see available have the stones set touching each other. I am concerned about how to get grout in between these areas where the stones touch. Will this be a problem later for me with water getting through the stones?

Sponsored Links

e3
05-19-2019, 04:15 PM
Grout is not supposed to stop the water thats water the waterprooing is for.. I would slope toward the drain 3/8” pf to help it drain.

cx
05-19-2019, 05:12 PM
Welcome, Greg. :)

What Eric said.

I agree that it is poor that the tile manufacturer has the stones actually touching, but it's not an uncommon situation. Unfortunately, if you cannot get grout in those joints, you'll get something else in there over time and the something else will be less attractive than grout.

But if your shower receptor is properly constructed, you really have only an aesthetic problem.

My opinion; worth price charged.

John Bridge
05-20-2019, 09:15 AM
Hi Greg, :)

Most of the pebble tiles are sold that way, and it doesn't worry me. The most important thing is to make all the sheet separations disappear. It entails removing and replacing tiles around the edges of all sheets. Takes a lot of time, but it's got to be done. We have an article with pictures on the site.

https://www.johnbridge.com/how-to/how-to-tile-a-shower-floor-using-pebble-tiles/

Greg H
05-09-2020, 10:23 AM
I appreciate the information. Since the stones are so close I would think un-sanded grout would be preferred? Is that right?

cx
05-09-2020, 10:37 AM
I would not agree with that, Greg. Your problem then would be having the unsanded grout in the much wider joints, which will result in shrinking and cracking.

I think your options are to get a better tile for your shower floor or remove all the stones, or most of them, from the backing and set them individually. Then use a grout compatible with your wider joint widths.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Davy
05-09-2020, 12:28 PM
Here is what John and Cx are talking about. We ended up pulling the pieces off the sheets and installing them individually since there are separations between the sheets.

Lazarus
05-09-2020, 02:03 PM
Done a few of them and, as was stated, you MAY need to hand-set some of them. I like using CBP's "PRISM" grout for that. As I recall, it uses very small glass pebbles that can be used for anything from next to nothing (1/16") to up to 1/2" joints. Best O' Luck and keep us posted.....:)

HenryJ
05-18-2020, 09:35 AM
Great choice pal! Pebble tiles look amazing in the shower area. As for the problem, you’re referring to, I went through the same thing - I got these pebble tiles from an online store mosaictileoutlet.com and was pretty excited about the install until I remembered that I had never worked with these tiles. So before starting out, I referred to this blog diynetwork.com and watched a DIY video from youtube to help me.