safe tile removal [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : safe tile removal

lati_cz
03-22-2019, 07:12 PM
Glass company botched enclosure install. Cracked tile under upper hinge, I need to replace it. Tile is next to window, so has schluter trim on both sides, it's approx. 12 x 12" piece. Tile is on Versabond, Redguard, tile board. Installed approx. 4 months ago.

Any advice how to remove Safely appreciated.

Sponsored Links

rmckee84
03-22-2019, 07:36 PM
Protect and cover everything below, go at it with a hammer and punch to break it up. Make sure and cut the surrounding grout lines.

Kman
03-23-2019, 06:37 AM
The smaller the pieces, the easier it will come out. You might also cover it with masking tape to keep the smaller pieces from going everywhere. Maybe if you're lucky, someone will have done a crappy job of setting it. ;)

You'll probably still have to redo the waterproofing layer. Is it at or above the level of the shower head?

lati_cz
03-23-2019, 08:24 AM
it's above water line.
the guy who install the tiles always backbutter and check coverage....
I got dremel tool to cut the grout lines (16") first, than I will try to brake the tile in small pieces. I am bit nervous about it.

Glass company (established, did always good installs for 10 years for me) sent 2 rookies for initial install, they screwed up, installed hinges out of plumb. They asked me to remove tile. I said no. They had to have new, larger hinges fabricated to cover holes. When they install 2nd, time, tile cracked....

My customers are without the shower for 8 weeks.....

Davy
03-23-2019, 12:39 PM
The Schulter trim could make it tough. Hopefully you won't bend them.

Kman
03-23-2019, 04:16 PM
My guess would be that it'll peel the Redgard off the wall board.

What is it, Durock, sheetrock, etc.?