Tile installation information [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tile installation information

lanzaroj
05-19-2004, 11:08 AM
:confused: I have tile installed in my condo (3rd fl) and am ripping up to install new. Some people are insisting that
cork installed first before the tile will deaden sound for the people underneath me. I have rugs in bedrooms and using tile
everywhere else. Is this an important thing to do or does'nt it
make much sense. I am using area rugs on top of the tile
in living room and dining room. Please help!!

Sponsored Links

Mike2
05-19-2004, 12:15 PM
Hi lanzaroj and welcome. Do you have a first name we can call you here?

I personally have no experience with sound deading techniques in condo situations such as yours but throughout the day others will be by and hopefully you can get some good professional advice. Hang in there. :)

opiethetileman
05-19-2004, 03:06 PM
I live in Florida and have installed ALOT of tile with cork flooring for sound proofing. You need to check with your condo Ass. and see what they require. But here in Duval and in Plam beach county anything over the second floor MUST have cork acoustic sound proofing. Shame you are not close I have some sitting around. The stuff gets $$$ to a roll like 300 bucks i think.

The bad things about cork it SUCKS to put down and you have to roll it with a steel roller to get all wrinkles out . And it Has to be glued to the floor pretty weel before tile install. Also I would only use Flex thinset over it If you cheap out and but cheap thinset IT WILL NOT STICK. I had to go and repair a floor they used $5's a bag thinset. A key hint when going under the fridge area or stove aera I always like to cut quarter size holes there to make sure the tile bonds very well to the slab.

Also some places require a picture of cork installed before you start laying tile.

Where do you live in Florida??? I am in Jax.

John Bridge
05-19-2004, 04:42 PM
Hi L. Welcome. :)

Check out the Noble Company site for sound deadening. http://www.noblecompany.com

Yes, I think you will be required to use sound deadening.