Kerdi-fix substitutes? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Kerdi-fix substitutes?

fogtown
09-21-2017, 08:41 PM
hello, I think Kerdi-fix is great for its intended application , but I find I only need it occasionally and it is difficult to source in some locales and sometimes you just need a little more adhesive and can't wait. I've searched the forums and there doesn't seem to be a definite accepted equivalent, but there are a number of Silyl-modified polymers (SMP adhesive sealants) readily available now and some seem that they would be a usable substitute and asking if there has been any acceptance to use with Kerdi products besides Sikaflex or 100% silicone? Homer's has a "Rapidset" brand "hybrid Silane Polyether" adhesive in caulk tubes as well as liquid Nails brand "Fuze-it". Some places carry OSI "Quad Max" or DAP 3.0. , Bostik 70-03 also.

Another question I have is can Kerdi-fix be used as a visible caulking- at a tile to tub line for example? I notice it is available in white. Or, would is it too difficult to tool nicely?
Thanks, Jon

Sponsored Links

rmckee84
09-21-2017, 09:14 PM
There is not a substitute accepted by schluter that I'm aware of.

Ive used it at a tub to tile transition before with a white subway tile. It looked pretty good, I taped the area off first because it is a little messy at times.

scottly
09-22-2017, 07:04 AM
I used it in it's intended purpose on a Kerdi shower. Seems to fluid to shape like caulk, so I wouldn't consider it over my old stand-by....DAP.

jadnashua
09-22-2017, 11:44 AM
KerdiFix isn't intended to be a caulk...it is an adhesive. As an adhesive, it works quite well. There are a few discussions about this in the pro section.

Lazarus
09-22-2017, 05:07 PM
HD has Sikaflex, which works as well, in my experience...for about a third the price...

fogtown
09-24-2017, 08:45 AM
While Sika flex sealant has acceptance as a bond to kerdi, it would seem another SMP sealant / adhesive would be a closer product, certainly better than most silicones which don't bond all that well to non porous tubs and tiles, as in kerdi band to tub flange. thus my original post in this case I found K-fix in MD at Sita Tile for only $18.25

jadnashua
09-24-2017, 04:54 PM
The closest thing Sika makes to Kerdifix, essentially costs as much or more. Now, can you get by with lesser performance? Maybe, depends.