Remove mortar from slate tile [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Remove mortar from slate tile

musicrover
05-04-2004, 10:56 AM
I have completed tiling my project. However it seems I have done a poor job of removing excess mortar from the top of the slate tile I used. I have used a wire brush but their are still some areas that are stubborn and will not come up. Are their any non-abrasive cleaners that can be used?

Thank you,
J.P.

Sponsored Links

Davestone
05-04-2004, 01:47 PM
Nobody's answered yet? Well stop with the wirebrush,have you sealed it yet?With what? In general,try to use a scrubbing pad instead,it has probably gotten into the stone so you'll need a little help like a vinegar and water,test in an inconspicuous place wait till tommorrow and see what she looks like,as rough as slate can be you may have to pick at some of it with a sharp object.But if you already sealed it and you can't do anything with it you may wind up stripping the sealer,but my guess is it's not sealed.

musicrover
05-04-2004, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the info. No I have not yet sealed the tile. I wanted to clean it as bet I could before sealing and grouting.

Steven Hauser
05-04-2004, 03:20 PM
Hi JP,

Dave has steered you into the correct direction. Take some vinegar and mix it 50/50 with clean water. I trust your water is not "hard". If it is get some distilled water. Apply this mixture to the mortar areas and let it rest for about 3-4 minutes. With a stiff bristled nylon brush agitate the area thoroughly. Rinse again with clear water.

This may take a few attempts.

My .02