Botched tile job or is this fixable? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Botched tile job or is this fixable?

Skoldsie
09-03-2017, 04:31 PM
Hi. This is the second tub surround I had tiled this summer and I think it is botched again. :(

This contractor was very offended when I told him I wasn't happy with the finished product. He actually ended up yelling at me with my 8 year old standing there and I had to ask him to leave the house.

The tiles are uneven, the grout lines are all different sizes (and I did purchase spacers for him), he put a huge gouge in the brand new bath tub, the grout is multiple colors and missing in many areas. The schluter strip is covered in grout and he used the schluter strip up against the ceiling.

So I know this is not a great job, but is it fixable? I thought about taking the gray grout out and replacing with white grout to hide some of the issues. I've asked him if he would do this, but he won't address the issues at all, but wants me to pay him the second half of the payment. He is now threatening to take me small claims court to get the second half of his payment. I need to know if this tile has to be removed or if it can be fixed. I have about $650 in material here, so I just don't know what to do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. There are some notes on the pictures that I sent to him, but he just refuses to address the issues.

Sponsored Links

Skoldsie
09-03-2017, 04:33 PM
Here is the chip in the brand new bath tub. :(

evan1968
09-03-2017, 06:07 PM
Low bidder.
Whatever you paid him so far was already too much.
I'm laughing as I'm typing this but how did he waterproof that surround? (the answer is not-"the tile and grout are waterproof")

Houston Remodeler
09-03-2017, 06:08 PM
Skoldsie,

Welcome to the forum.

I doubt it would be fixable to your liking and industry standards for flatness, but there is a much larger question looming - how was your shower waterproofed?

If his work is this amateurish on the surface, I worry about what is (or isn't) underneath which is what really counts.

Got any 'during' pictures ?

Skoldsie
09-03-2017, 06:20 PM
Actually, I know that part was done right because I walked him through it. The fact that I had to walk him through the prep and waterproofing probably should have been a huge indicator that he could not do a good job.

Davy
09-03-2017, 06:50 PM
How much more money do you owe him?

I would let him know that by the time you have the tub repaired and have someone finish his job, it will take more than his other half payment to fix. No one likes to go in and finish up another installers job.

Skoldsie
09-03-2017, 07:39 PM
I owe him half of his labor. I paid for the tile also. Plus the tub is ruined, so I will have to replace that. I'm in the negative for sure at this point.

He says he needs to be compensated for his time away from his family, but I can't pay him for work that he did wrong. Ugh.

workhurts
09-03-2017, 09:48 PM
That looks pretty rough. Why is there grout between two different planes anyway? Think that needs to be caulked instead of grouted. I think at this stage I'd be thinking about taking him to small claims court instead of the other way around. No sympathy for shoddy 'professional' work and zero attention to detail.

Shady at Best
09-04-2017, 12:23 AM
I owe him half of his labor. I paid for the tile also. Plus the tub is ruined, so I will have to replace that. I'm in the negative for sure at this point.

He says he needs to be compensated for his time away from his family, but I can't pay him for work that he did wrong. Ugh.
You owe him nothing more. He possibly owe's you to replace the material that he ruined.
How did you find this guy? He is a sloppy tile setter. What did he say about the chipped tub?
Seriously get ready for small claims court. I have mixed feelings over the $1300 for the labor. I know it's hard to pass up on the lowest bidder but you always get what you pay for.

Oh. Its NOT fixable. It might be able to made better, but not %100.

I am neither clever nor funny

condo-owner
09-04-2017, 07:49 AM
not a pro job, for sure.

but if you are not real picky, you/someone can make it much better.
is it going to look like a pro job, no. but if you are in a bind ....
otherwise, chalk it up and have it redone.

i would not give him 1 more $. if you have to, call the police , they will keep the guy away from you.

Davy
09-04-2017, 08:30 AM
Travis, Skoldsie hasn't given us the dollar amount for labor, just that the materials have cost 650.00. :)

Skoldsie
09-04-2017, 08:35 AM
Yes, I gave him $700 to start (1/3 of total, which also included two very small other jobs) plus the $580-$590 in materials I purchased.

He messed up the other two small jobs also. (and they were SMALL jobs, nothing like this)

Skoldsie
09-04-2017, 08:37 AM
and I know better. Truly, I do. I didn't go with the cheapest. I've been doing work on homes for 13 years. (I own 12 rentals and have purchased and resold homes plenty of times over the years) I have to take some responsibility in this, I completely realize that.

Kman
09-04-2017, 09:23 AM
Your tub can possibly be repaired, but it'll likely cost you a couple hundred or more.

Is that actually grout or caulk between the bottom row of tile and the tub? It should be caulked, although not that messily.

That last picture you posted with the hex tile, did you ask for it to be done that way at the top and bottom? There should be some cut pieces there, but he got lazy and filled them with grout.

Speaking of which, is that sanded or unsanded grout?

The rest of it is just shoddy workmanship. If he takes you to court, just keep a lot of pictures, and any receipts for work you have done to repair his work. That should be enough.

Davy
09-04-2017, 09:36 AM
Not beating you up but when you said that you had to walk him thru the waterproofing part of the job, a red flag should have gone off. If he knows his trade, he wouldn't need anyone telling him this.

On the hex border, I usually run the hex the other direction, then my half tiles are larger. Not much planning or thinking things thru on his part.

rmckee84
09-04-2017, 02:20 PM
I agree with the masses, don't pay the remainder and prepare for small claims court. The work is slightly below DIY and he should be ashamed of it.

Shady at Best
09-04-2017, 02:35 PM
Travis, Skoldsie hasn't given us the dollar amount for labor, just that the materials have cost 650.00. :)

I thought i saw that she paid half and that it was 650. But who cares

Skoldsie
09-04-2017, 03:53 PM
No, the $650ish was the material. I have paid him half of his labor also.

It should ABSOLUTELY have been a huge red flag that I had to walk him through the waterproofing. Totally my responsibility. You just get so far in to a job and you just want it done. I know I made the wrong decisions and I own that. (and I am beating myself up with every extra dollar I am spending here)

The part that makes me the most upset is not even the money that I'm out. It's the fact that he still feels like he can take me to court. He says I made the work environment too hostile for him to come back and fix it. :crap: Eh, hostility isn't me explaining that your tile job rots. His feelings were hurt. I'm a woman and he just couldn't take the criticism.

rmckee84
09-04-2017, 05:06 PM
Was there a contract? Just curious.

evan1968
09-04-2017, 05:28 PM
If this guy gets paid one more dime I'm going to question why I try so hard.
That is a hack if I have ever seen one.

Ryan.... The guy hacked up other work in the OP's house, a contract is nowhere in the picture.

Shady at Best
09-04-2017, 05:36 PM
The part that makes me the most upset is not even the money that I'm out. It's the fact that he still feels like he can take me to court. He says I made the work environment too hostile for him to come back and fix it. :crap: Eh, hostility isn't me explaining that your tile job rots. His feelings were hurt. I'm a woman and he just couldn't take the criticism.

He has to know that he messed up or he is crazy. He isn't going to take you to court. He is just trying to get you to pay up. Stand your ground.

mark999
09-04-2017, 05:39 PM
The only way that guy could fix anything would be to tear it all out but I would not trust him to do that. I would call the tile police and tell them your tile has been molested. With all the evidence I am sure he would be found guilty. As punishment I think he should be required to wear a shirt at all time that says I AM A TILE MOLESTER.

evan1968
09-04-2017, 06:17 PM
Only if he was a priest and the shower was a alter boy:cool:

Goodbye post!

Skoldsie
09-04-2017, 08:23 PM
We actually do have a contract!

Kman
09-05-2017, 05:32 AM
What are the terms of the contract?

Houston Remodeler
09-05-2017, 08:11 AM
Let him try to sue you.

When you hire someone else, take pictures all along the way, including demolition to reveal all the problems if he ever follows through and sues you.

IN my home state of Texas, filing a property lien improperly carries a $10,000 fine.

Skoldsie
09-05-2017, 09:27 AM
The terms of the contract include:
1/2 down up front
job (tile, plus 3 other small jobs, he completed 1.5 of those-and not that well) to be completed in 8 business days (nope, didn't happen)
It did have the steps of how to prep the area, including waterproofing-but I made him add that.

I sent him a final email, with more pictures telling him that I would be sending HIM an invoice with the balance of what I am out at this point. I was polite about it, very factual and included detailed pictures. I have video also.

He has not responded. I will absolutely take him to small claims, though I doubt he is collectable. It's like someone said earlier-someone has to put a stop to this. He can't treat people this way.

cx
09-06-2017, 09:44 AM
Skoldsie, you're likely to find that your Court of Small Claims (you don't have a geographic location in your User Profile so we don't know what court that would be) will be of benefit to you only in the collection of actual damages.

That would require that you have the installation removed and replaced or repaired and be able to verify the cost to you for such remediation. You would need to be able to demonstrate that the existing installation was not up to contemporary professional standards in the first place and that your contractor refused to make it so.

The maximum limit to such Small Claims Court awards in my fair State is $5,000. Your state will also have an upper limit.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Nolip
09-10-2017, 08:02 PM
What was the determining factor in choosing that contractor? Price?

workhurts
09-10-2017, 08:15 PM
I think OP said this wasn't the cheapest bid. If only paying more actually guaranteed anything. Seems like you have to go look at prior work in order to trust that someone is going to do something right and you had better make sure you actually get the person doing the work and not some random rotation of subs.

It really is a crap shoot these days.