Profiling marble and natural stone [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Profiling marble and natural stone

tileman1986
09-01-2017, 06:28 PM
Currently have a dewalt Saw and use a 7" diamond rounded 1/2" profile wheel to make bullnose and trim as needed. Mainly marble 12x12 & 12x24

What are some of the best sized blades and places to get them?

Does buying a bridge saw make it any easier or faster? Looking to add another Saw and have had my eye on the rubi 48" bridge saw. I don't see much online about people using profiling wheels on them.

What are some tricks for polishing the marble faster? I have the pads that you change out from 80-1600 grit. Just wondering if there is a faster way to do it with a pad or something?

I've used the 3/8" profile wheel so it has less curve but I always seem to leave a small line or don't take enough off the side. We have had better results with the 1/2".

Sponsored Links

Davy
09-01-2017, 08:50 PM
Have you seen this profile wheel that fits a grinder? Check out post 12 on this thread. http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40874&highlight=tricks+trade

I finally bought that wheel and it does a nice job. For marble I've used the stick on and also the Velcro sand paper. They do a nice job on marble. :)

PetrH
09-01-2017, 10:20 PM
I profile all my stone by hand, using a Makita variable speed wet polisher with dry polishing pads. With a bit of practice, you can get a nice 1/8" round over like what you see on counter tops. That way you don't have to remove a lot of material and you get an attractive finish. With marble, wood working sandpapers also work quite well.

tileman1986
09-02-2017, 08:33 AM
Wow tons of great information on here. Thanks for the advice.

I'm now leaning towards the Bulldog. Its getting closer to the end of the year so I need to expense some of my profits. I really like the idea of having something not many other people have and the ability to profile glass.

I am looking hard at the dual set up for right at 5k. I already have 3 jobs on the book that would pay for 1/4 of it so it seems like a no brainer.

My few questions are:

1) How clean is it containing the water? Is it easy to clean?

2) Have ya'll found it is easier to maybe do the first two steps and then polish the rest out with dry pads on a grinder? Or go through all the different blades on the bulldog?

3) What are the best blades to get if I am planning on using it for mainly polish and honed marble?

Thanks in advance.

PetrH
09-02-2017, 09:45 AM
go to an outfit like granquartz on line to find out what's available. There is quite a range of products for the stone guys.