Early 80s Roman bathtub remodel [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Early 80s Roman bathtub remodel

Berkley
08-21-2017, 08:29 PM
Greetings,

I have always respected the advice that I received from this forum on my last project (2010) and welcome any input from the board.

Basically, we are trying to decide what to do with our tiled Roman bath (picture attached):
A) chip and re-tile, or
B) fill in and put a freestanding tub in that area.

For the re-tile, I worry about proper waterproofing with the renovation and basic utility of the bathtub. (My wife actually use it frequently, but it is not super comfy and we wonder if a future potential home owner might be turned off, even with more modern tile). It seems like the tub is set into the slab foundation, but could be a mudbed over wood frame. For completely scraping the sunken tub, I worry about the details of getting it filled correctly to withstand the weight of a new tub + water and a bit about getting a solid connection to the old drain.

Anyway, I was wondering if you had run into this situation before and what your advice would be (beyond every other similar forum topic that I have reviewed). What is our easier, more efficient, cost effective solution?

It is proving difficult to find a good tradesman that wants to tackle this potential nightmare and I am not in the current time/space to DIY. If you have someone in your network that might be a good fit in the Tucson, Arizona area, I would welcome an introduction or a nudge in the right direction.

Many thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links

Carbidetooth
08-22-2017, 07:41 AM
Were I to view this as an update and not a restoration, I'd lose the roman tub. I appreciate what it takes to make one, but with many cool looking and comfortable freestanding tubs available now the decision would be both aesthetic and functional.

Perhaps the platform could stay, depending on how it's made. That might reduce the scope somewhat.

Can't help with the finding a good local craftsman. I'd look at this as a fun and interesting project.

Berkley
08-22-2017, 05:46 PM
Thank you, Peter.

Good point on the platform. It appears to be concrete slab from peering beneath the built in planter (partially out of view to the right of picture). We would demo that box, likely with either plan.

One vote for fill-in, zero for re-tile.

Houston Remodeler
08-22-2017, 08:09 PM
Add one vote for fill in. The 70's are over.