Uneven drain [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Uneven drain

jenecg
08-19-2017, 05:20 PM
Hi all, I'm new to this forum but have been reading your posts to help me do a master bath shower with mud pan. My contractor moved the drain so the shower could be larger and centered. Unfortunately it is now not centered by an inch north and west or level. So i'm doing the rest myself. I thought I could work around it. I finished the pan and tiled the walls and floor with help from reading this forum...Thanks for the great advise on the forum!

I'm now finishing the last tiles around the square drain. The drain drops about 1/8" below the tile in one corner. Can I cut this drain out and install another drain without threads that I could level and possibly center? Thanks, Charlie

Sponsored Links

jenecg
08-19-2017, 05:23 PM
By "cut out", I mean cut the corners so that I can unscrew it.

cx
08-19-2017, 05:42 PM
Welcome, Charlie. :)

We'd need at least to know what kind of drain you've installed. We can maybe guess from your description, but I really don't like doing that. 'Specially in light of this statement of your intent:Can I cut this drain out and install another drain without threads that I could level and possibly center?

jenecg
08-19-2017, 05:50 PM
It's a Sioux Chief square metal threaded drain from big box store.

Kman
08-19-2017, 10:10 PM
All the products I'm familiar with regarding drain adjustment are for raising it, but not for just one part of the drain.

Definitely something you would want to take care of before the tile goes in. Maybe someone else will have an idea.

Davy
08-20-2017, 09:11 AM
You can carefully chip out the tile and mud around the drain and get the top grate out. Then cut the threaded end shorter so it rests on the flange instead of screwing in to it. Mix more mud and pack it in around the grate while holding the it flat. A short straight edge will get you in plane with the tile from all directions. A slurry of thinset can be used to bond the new mud to the old but be careful not to fill the weepholes. The mud will hold the top grate in place.

That will get it flat but not centered up. Can't see you doing that. I wouldn't try to center it, very few drains are perfectly centered.

jenecg
08-20-2017, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the reply. I assume some part of the removable threaded drain needs to go into the drain already set in mud. When I start screwing the drain in, there seems to be very little wiggle room for leveling. Could I grind the threads off to keep it a little longer and still have some wiggle room to make it level?

Davy
08-20-2017, 12:30 PM
You can try that if you want. Grind the threads off towards the bottom so it will still slide into the 2 inch hole, yet giving it some wiggle room. Leaving the threads toward the upper part will give the new mud something to grab onto, since you won't be screwing it in, just setting it in.

jenecg
08-20-2017, 12:48 PM
Great, Thanks for your help!