Tub Surround and floor [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tub Surround and floor

atrain0007
08-14-2017, 01:40 PM
Hello Forum.

Im starting a new project (thanks to the confidence of a couple others with good results thanks to the help I received here) to do a tub surround and bathroom floor.

Tub Surround:
- Basic plan is to install subway style 3x6 or 3x9 inch tiles horizontally in a running bond pattern all the way to the ceiling.

So far I have installed the 1/2" durock nearly to the ceiling where it meets the drywall. Next steps are where Im having some questions. Should I use the fiberglass mesh tape and thinset to go over the joints and screwheads (no tape there, lol) And then use the Mapei Aquadefense and the fabric reinforcer for my moisture barrier? Or should I use the Mapei Aquadefense and the fabric reinforcer for the joints and screwheads and not bother with the thinset?

For those size tiles, what is the right trowel size? 1/4 x 1/4 square?

For the Floor:

- Basic Plan is 12x24 porcelain tile over slab.

Do I need any kind of bonding agent/slab prep or can I thinset right there to a clean slab? Trowel size 1/2x 1/2 square ok?

Thanks advance. I tell everyone I know who does tile to come here. Youre the best trade forum I've read.

Adam

Sponsored Links

Davy
08-17-2017, 05:50 AM
Hi Adam, I would use the fabric in the corners and joints of the CBU then the Aqua Defense over the whole thing. No fabric over the nail heads. I like those 6 inch paint rollers that have a 3/8 nap. Get a cheap chip brush to cut in around the edges.

Yes, 1/4 x 1/4 notch should be about right for the 3x6 tiles and 1/2 x 1/2 notch for the 12x24's.

Get the slab clean to bare concrete. I like to apply a membrane over the whole slab but you can stick right to the concrete if you see no cracks. The Aqua Defense works for an anti fracture membrane too.