Mark's Basement Bathroom [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Mark's Basement Bathroom

MARK3980
04-03-2017, 09:50 AM
Hi all! I'm a home owner who tackles a tile job about every five years or so. When I do, I come on here to get great advice from the experts. I'm putting in a new bathroom in the basement. Framing is done, and Kerdi board is put up in the shower stall. The wife, god bless her, came up with the idea of using a stacked stone looking tile. I have no experience with this product and had some questions.

1. Is it something only the experts should try and the somewhat handy should leave alone? I figured on putting it on the long wall, 60", with no plumbing in the way or niches used.

2. I'm figuring that wall will go in last, after the sidewalls and floor, all conventional tile, are done. Is this correct?

3. I had planned on using a Schluter profile in all the intersections, floor and wall. I guess that's out now. Or can I still use it on the floor where a lot of the stone will overhang the profile?

4. Or should I leave a slight gap between the stone and the floor and fill it with caulking?

5. Any brands of stone that are better than others?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can give!

Mark

Sponsored Links

rmckee84
04-03-2017, 11:56 AM
Without knowing which stacked stone product you'll be using its hard to give an opinion. They vary greatly.

1. Its doable for most
2. Probably the best route
3. Probably wouldn't use profiles
4. Always leave a gap at change of plane and fill with 100% silicone in wet areas.

MARK3980
04-03-2017, 04:16 PM
Thanks Ryan!

I figured there would be a big variation in quality, just like everything else, but there's not a lot of information on different brands out there that I could find. Even on the internet, this site included. Any recommendations?

prodjsaig
04-03-2017, 04:58 PM
is this something like a stone veneer? if so i believe they use a proprietary glue or thinset. i like the idea of having a feature wall in a bathroom im sure you could pull it off

Dbor
04-04-2017, 12:11 PM
I've had plenty of DIY customers put up stacked stone on their own. The only comment I ever really hear is that cutting can be a pain because of the thickness.

MARK3980
04-04-2017, 02:26 PM
Colby,

The stuff I've seen varies in thickness from 1/2" to well over an inch. I guess you would call it a veneer. This particular product was real stone.

MARK3980
04-21-2017, 03:55 PM
Ok, I gave up on the stacked stone idea in the shower. Spoke to a few companies and it sounded iffy at best on 1/2" kerdi board. So it will be conventional tile now.

The kerdi board is on the walls and the ceiling is drywall, which I intend to paint. I already put some of the kerdi band where the kerdi board and sheetrock meet. I can see now that this is superfluous. As I did it I was questioning the wisdom of the act, but it was recommended somewhere, maybe here. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. My questions are:

1. Can I use regular joint compound to feather out this area? Schluter told me yes but they seemed hesitant about it.

2. Would a joint setting drywall compound be better?

Also, the title of my thread doesn't make sense now. Does anyone know how to change it to "Mark's basement bathroom"? Thanks in advance for any information you can give me.

cx
04-21-2017, 04:35 PM
1. Yes, unless it's a particularly low ceiling.

2. No.

3. Changed.

My opinion; worth price charged.

MARK3980
04-21-2017, 10:04 PM
Thank you CX!

MARK3980
05-03-2017, 11:59 AM
On this particular project, about half the walls will be painted and the ceilings will be completely painted. Is there a primer that I can use that is acceptable to underlie both paint and tile?

MARK3980
07-18-2017, 01:34 PM
Okay, the walls are all tiled except for the bottom row. The floor isn't tiled yet. I will be using Ditra heat.

1. What is the best way to finish the wall/floor intersection? Install the floor tile first and then the remaining wall tile, or vice versa?

2. I assume if I finish the floor first I should leave a gap/grout line between the floor and wall that I would fill with silicone?

The search engine didn't help me much. Any photos or link to such would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Mark

cx
07-18-2017, 02:16 PM
1. Dealer's choice.

2. You must do that regardless which you tile first.

My opinion; worth price charged.