Revolution XT suddenly tripping circuit breaker. Solutions??? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Revolution XT suddenly tripping circuit breaker. Solutions???

MakenaTile
04-02-2017, 04:32 PM
So my XT ring saw started tripping the outlet breaker yesterday. Cords and connections are all dry. Nothing different is plug in.

Drive wheel spins with normal resistance. The circuit button on the saw is not tripping. Just the wall outlet that ive been using for years.

Some times it trips instantly while other times it runs for maybe 2 minutes then trips.

I'm thinking its something in the saw causing it- but what? Is there something I can do to fix it? I dont see where water can now get in the motor where it couldnt before. This is already the second motor on this saw.

Suggestions ???

Thanks

Sponsored Links

rmckee84
04-02-2017, 05:00 PM
Have you tried a different outlet? They can go bad. Figured I'd ask the obvious just in case.

tatumjonj
04-02-2017, 05:17 PM
You probably don't want to hear it, but it sounds like the motor is going out.

Carbidetooth
04-02-2017, 05:24 PM
Like Ryan said, try another outlet temporarily. If that works, replace the GFI outlet. I've had cheap ones bad out of the box. Something north of $15 will get you into "better" stuff, methinks.

FYI, a ground fault interrupter works differently than a circuit breaker. Theoretically, a breaker activates when an overcurrent condition is presented. A GFI activates when an imbalance between the hot and neutral legs exist. Now, aren't you glad to know that?!

jadnashua
04-02-2017, 06:50 PM
When a load is close to the rating of a CB, it often doesn't trip immediately...it takes a bit of time for the thing to heat up and trip. If it is a short, it can happen immediately, but not if it is close. If the bearings are dragging, that can up the current drawn and I'm sure that there are other reasons for a motor to start to draw more power than originally.

If it's a GFCI that is tripping, that implies the device (the load) is actually defective. It could be brush dust allowing a path for enough power to leak and not hurt you (yet!), but it's hard to say. WHile some of the older designs of GFCI would randomly trip for no good reason, that's not true with those produced in the last 10-years or so. But, they do go bad...that's what the test button is for!

PetrH
04-02-2017, 09:17 PM
If the GFI is not defective, then you have a small short somewhere in the saw. Check all the spots where wires could have come loose or rubbed through from vibrations.

cx
04-02-2017, 10:25 PM
I'm not seeing anything in the opening question indicating that she's dealing with a GFCI outlet or breaker. Maybe I'm missing something?

I'd wanna know first if there is anything new on that circuit or that was not operating the day before the saw began "tripping the outlet breaker," Janna.

Kman
04-02-2017, 10:47 PM
I'm wondering if that's what she meant by "outlet breaker", whether it's a GFI or a breaker in the panel. If there's water involved, it should be a GFI outlet, or a GFI breaker in the panel.

Maybe you could clarify that for us, Janna?

slowayne
04-03-2017, 08:29 AM
I have had similar problems with circuit breakers. They go bad in time. Also if the connection at the breaker is at all loose it builds heat and blows the breaker. Check and tighten the breaker wire connection. If that does not work replace it. They do not cost much.

MakenaTile
04-07-2017, 04:46 PM
On the advice of a small engine repair shop near my house:

I opened up the electrical box on outside of saw motor. It looked a little damp on inside of box cover. I unhooked all the connectors (took pictures to know where they go back)

Used Q-tips and rubbing alcohol to clean off everything completely.

Dried everything out with a hair drier.

Reconnected all the wires then coated everything with thick engine Grease- filling the hole where wires enter motor and around seam between electric box and motor.

I cut out a new cover gasket from stick on sheet foam. Adding a layer of grease to prevent any moisture from getting it.

Worked!

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

The problem was caused by only 2 screws being used to secure cover instead of 4. It has markings for 2 more screws but holes dont go all the way thru. Gasket is too thin to seal water out. I strongly suggest switching out to a thicker gasket before a problem happens. Fuse on saw never tripped so I doubt it works. This motor is a replacement ordered by Gemini 2 years old. $430 is price of replacement.

MakenaTile
04-07-2017, 05:05 PM
The outlet I was using is in garage and it is GFI. The home was built in 1981. Here is the problem i have now:

I used to be able to run my 10-inch wet song on the garage Outlet up until my landlord switched out the two bathroom Outlets two GFI type. Ever since the 10" saw trips the Gfi. (Not using both saws at the same time). So i been running a fat extension cord through the house the washer and dryer Outlet to plug it in there.

The revolution now works again using garage outlet but all bathroom outlets wont work. Gfi wont test/reset- same as when garage gfi has been tripped. It did this last summer and my step dad redid how outlets were wired and it fixed problem.

But now what. I tried flipping house breakers, resetting gfi in garage. Outlets still wont turn on.

The wiring does have unknown issues as all wall switches in bedrooms have wires disconnected. My dad and I spent a day trying to figure out why. Never could get any of them to work.
Bedroom outlets all work fine.

cx
04-07-2017, 07:37 PM
Sounds like you've got too many cooks in that kitchen making changes in the electrical system, Janna. Don't think we can realistically trouble-shoot the problem for you from over here while not really knowing what might now be connected to what. Hope you at least don't end up creating a fire hazard.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Carbidetooth
04-08-2017, 10:49 AM
Many possibilities. As CX suggests, too many cooks in the kitchen may be contributing.

Potentially part of the problem is the two GFI outlets in bathroom. GFIC's are typically "daisy chained". The upstream outlet protecting all the downstream so only one is typically required in any given circuit. GFI outlets have the capability to either pass juice directly to next device in circuit or to protect next device...depends on how they're wired.

Now bathrooms are required to have dedicated circuits. But time was the garage circuit was often tied to bathroom for GFI protection.

I wonder if yours is some permutation of the above. Only way to know for sure is to do some testing. And that should be done by someone who understands the possibilities.

Sounds like your landlord should probably get an electrician involved. The extension cord should be his warning.