Question on Shower Pan [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Question on Shower Pan

Creato
03-29-2017, 08:48 AM
Sort of a different situation. I'm doing a 9'x3' shower. The first 5 feet (where the valve is) I'm using a prefabricated preslope. The remaining 4 feet I'm going to do a drypack. The entire wood subfloor has been leveled using thinset.
Here's my question(s):
Is felt necessary between the thinset and drypack?
Is lathe necessary in the drypack?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

cx
03-29-2017, 09:28 AM
The entire wood subfloor has been leveled using thinset. Very bad idea, that, Joe.
The first 5 feet (where the valve is) I'm using a prefabricated preslope. The remaining 4 feet I'm going to do a drypack. Are you using a linear drain at one end or a standard drain?

Creato
03-29-2017, 10:09 AM
I failed to mention one step. I did install durock over the subfloor first (thinset and screws) then leveled.
Standard drain.

cx
03-29-2017, 11:53 AM
So, you've installed half-inch CBU in the area where you plan to build your shower? Reasoning behind that?

How do you plan to have a level perimeter around your shower floor with your planned use of a foam tray and deck mud?

Where is your drain located in the shower footprint?

Creato
03-29-2017, 12:05 PM
To strengthen the floor and for better bonding of the thinset. The subfloor is OSB and self leveler is not recommended.
The outer perimeter of the foam is 1 inch. I will continue with deck mud starting at the same height and slope toward the foam tray (exactly the way the MFG of the tray recommended). The far end will be virtually dry- it's basically a seating area. The shower head is not shooting the long way but the width of the shower.
The drain is 27" from one end and centered on the width.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

cx
03-29-2017, 02:37 PM
The CBU does nothing at all to strengthen your subfloor, Joe. If you needed help in that area, a second layer of plywood would have been indicated. Thinset mortar is not indicated in leveling or flattening the substrate in any case, though.

If you'd use deck mud for the entire shower floor, you wouldn't need to do do any leveling at all before placing the shower floor and it would save you a good bit of dinero.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Creato
03-30-2017, 06:38 AM
Well, guess I learned my lesson on these prefabricated shower pans. Will go back to the old way of doing things next shower. But for now, I'm stuck with it. Will move forward and finish this one up.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Kman
03-30-2017, 11:17 AM
If you have a foam prefab preslope, then that negates the need for felt paper. The only purpose of felt paper, or plastic, on the subfloor is to keep the OSB from drawing the moisture out of the mud prematurely. From your description, I'm gathering you don't have deck mud in contact with the OSB.

And that's a "no" on the lath in your case.

Creato
03-30-2017, 11:47 AM
60" of the shower is foam, the other 48" is mud. That was what the original post was all about (which I never did get an answer). No worries though, I moved on, without felt or wire, and completed it. Thanks