2x4 16 O.C. [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : 2x4 16 O.C.

tile student
03-07-2017, 01:02 PM
Hi, I am thinking of what to put flooring for our shed/studio.

The floor is 2x4 16" apart with 3/4 plywood over. the 2x4 span is 8'. There are 2 treated runners perpendicular. Thinking the unsupported 2x4 is 4' apart.

Is it absolute NO for tile install? I asked the company for 12" OC thinking it would help, but the workers "forgot" about this and made the floor joists 16.

Sponsored Links

cx
03-07-2017, 02:35 PM
the 2x4 span is 8'. There are 2 treated runners perpendicular. Thinking the unsupported 2x4 is 4' apart.I can't tell from that what the unsupported span of your joists is, Jeremy.

nelsonkoehn
03-07-2017, 05:42 PM
Is this one of those utility sheds? How wide is it? 16'? And the runners are 8' apart?

What is your studio used for? Are you sure you want tile flooring in there?

tile student
03-07-2017, 06:35 PM
It is 8' x 14' shed. 4x4 runners and 2x4 floor frame.

(edit) Runners are 57.5" apart.

I did the deflection calculation and it didn't give me too much differences 12 vs 16 OC. So my big question would be the unsupported span. If I put joist length of 5', it says it is fine.

It is going to be a work shop / storage. I want something easy to sweep and can handle wet shoes, and occasional metal shaving on the floor. originally planned for 12"x12", dark sanded grout with "loose" spacing of 3/16" grout line. I think you get the idea.

as an alternative, I also want to put some cheap laminate down, but I have to watch out for wet shoes.

RichVT
03-07-2017, 07:01 PM
For a utility space, I don't think you can beat VCT (commercial vinyl tile).

Cheap, easy to install and super durable.

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Flooring-Vinyl-Flooring-Resilient-Flooring-VCT-Tile/Armstrong/N-5yc1vZbzk0Z6r

cx
03-07-2017, 07:04 PM
So my big question would be the unsupported span. If I put joist length of 5', it says it is fineJeremy, you gotta tell us what your unsupported joist span is. You're the onliest one of us can see the structure from where you are, eh?

tile student
03-07-2017, 07:42 PM
CX, edited my post. runners is 57.5" apart

cx
03-07-2017, 07:58 PM
OK, Jeremy, but I don't know what "runners" might be and I don't know if that's what is supporting your joists nor how the runners might be supported. Only you can determine what is your unsupported joist span.

If, in fact, you have 2x4 joists on 16-inch centers that are spanning only 57 1/2 inches between proper supports, your joist structure would be sufficient for a ceramic tile installation. But I can't tell from here if that's what you have.

My opinion; worth price charged.

wwhitney
03-07-2017, 09:01 PM
It is 8' x 14' shed. 4x4 runners and 2x4 floor frame.

How are the runners supported, what is their span? It sounds like they are acting as girders, and that's pretty lightweight, so they need to be checked for deflection as well.

Cheers, Wayne

tile student
03-08-2017, 12:43 PM
The runners are placed over poured slab and partially on pavers over dirt, but the runners are shimmed every foot and as needed.

I think the problem would be not all the joists could make contact the runner. My assumption is that the runner and joists are NOT perfectly straight everywhere.

In the best case it would be toe nailed to the runner but that doesn't mean it is properly supported.
If I was building I would make sure any voids are shimmed + liquid nails to bridge the gap, but I didn't build it.

I didn't want to go vinyl because I didn't want some of the seams to telegraph. I looked into vinyl planks but they have an urethane wear layer which metal shaving would really damage quickly. So I am leaning towards an laminate with AC5 with oxide wear layer. It was choosing between almost waterproof (vinyl) vs hard wearing (laminate)

wwhitney
03-10-2017, 10:33 AM
If I was building I would make sure any voids are shimmed + liquid nails to bridge the gap, but I didn't build it.
Do/will you not have access to the underside to check the bearing of the joists on the "runners"? I would think that if your runner/joist bearing is good (properly shimmed) and if you support the runners solidly at least every 3'-4', the floor system will meet the L/360 deflection criterion for ceramic tile.

Cheers, Wayne

supperfly17
03-10-2017, 10:49 AM
Can you post any pictures?

PetrH
03-12-2017, 02:57 PM
forget tile, why would you want to put in something that's likely to fail. Since it's a utility space just sand and patch the plywood and paint it with an epoxy of some sort. There are many available for painting garage floors and decks.