Tiling a basement floor Question [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tiling a basement floor Question

DWHimes
03-05-2017, 09:41 PM
I am in the process of tiling a walkout basement of about 1200 square feet.
Do you think I should install the Schluter-Ditra over the concrete floor before laying the tile down or should I just install the tile right over the concrete floor.
There are some hair line cracks that run about 24 feet long which probably came from the ground settling or moving. The house is 17 years old. Any advice will be helpful as to install or not to install the Ditra. Thanks.

Sponsored Links

cx
03-05-2017, 09:52 PM
Welcome back, Darryl. :)

Depends upon the condition of the slab to some extent. Do any of these "hairline" cracks have any vertical displacement? By any, I mean even a few thousandths of an inch.

Have you done a moisture vapor emissions test on this slab?

Have you checked the flatness of this slab?

DWHimes
08-03-2017, 12:50 PM
Hello All:

Love this forum; it offers excellent advice and I have taken advice from this forum before. Anyway, I will be tiling a concrete basement floor of 1200 square feet. The porcelain tile to be installed will be 6 x 40. The basement does not leak; however I do have a few hairline cracks that are about 12 feet long. Given I have hairline cracks, which product should I install over the concrete basement floor before tiling: Schulter DITRA or Nobleseal? I don't want my tiles to crack given this is a large project and is expensive. I have used the DITRA in my basement bathroom which is a concrete floor. So far, no issues. But because I doing a larger area of 1200 square feet and it will be walked on more often and have heavy furniture sitting on top, I need to know which product should I install on my basement concrete floor. Cost can also be a factor here. Again, thank you in advance for responding.

cx
08-03-2017, 02:06 PM
Daryl, I've combined you with your original thread on this same question. It'll help if you'll answer the questions in post #2 to get us started.

DWHimes
08-10-2017, 11:45 AM
CX

There is no moisture in the floor per moister vapor emission test. I am leaning toward Mapelastic CI by Mapei to use on the entire basement floor and for the crack-isolation membrane. Any thoughts.

cx
08-10-2017, 12:34 PM
Obtain a wet film thickness gauge before applying the liquid-applied crack isolation membrane. You'll find the required 20mil wet film thickness to be a lot more material than you would have guessed.

This is not like painting the bedroom walls.

My opinion; worth price charged.

DWHimes
08-10-2017, 07:22 PM
Sorry but what is meant by wet film thickness gauge? Thank you

cx
08-10-2017, 10:10 PM
Look like thissy here, Daryl:

Usta be they were given away at your local paint store or/and attached to the top of your bucket of RedGard, but these days you gotta buy'em or maybe get one where you buy your membrane.

You dip the edge into your applied liquid membrane and last finger to get wet material on it is close to your thickness.

DWHimes
08-11-2017, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the picture. So how about using Mapelistic CS as a crack isolation membrane. Using Nobelseal will cost much more than Mapelistic CS. I have ruled out Ditra.