Floor heat not working because of early turn on? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Floor heat not working because of early turn on?

Dbor
03-02-2017, 05:32 PM
I just had a customer come in who had recently installed floor heat using the Prodesso mat and Suntouch thermostats. He says he is getting power to everything and there are no breaks in the wire, but the floor is not heating.

Apparently, he called Suntouch tech support and was told that he had to wait up to 28 days after installing before turning on the system. I understand how an early turn on would affect curing of the cement/thinset, but I do not understand how it would affect the wire heating.

Sponsored Links

rmckee84
03-02-2017, 05:51 PM
It won't effect the functioning of the heat, but it will affect the thinset.

jadnashua
03-02-2017, 06:07 PM
Keep in mind that if this is installed on a concrete slab, depending on if there is a thermal break and/or some insulation underneath the slab, it may take a very long time to appear to raise the floor temp, if at all. Got a thermal imaging camera? A clamp-on ammeter would also tell you how much power the system is using.

Dbor
03-02-2017, 07:19 PM
Hadn't thought of that, i.e. time to feel the heat. This is from an experienced crew so I would guess they would have thought of that but I don't know.

My conversation with him leads me to believe that the heat has been on for a while, maybe days, and still does not appear to be working.

rmckee84
03-03-2017, 10:58 AM
Sounds like thermal imaging camera in needed

Bentley Construction
03-03-2017, 02:35 PM
Jim is correct. Use a clamp on ammeter and test the wire at the box to make sure you are getting currrent to the mat. FYI With an ammeter make sure you only clamp to one leg of the wire.
I would cycle the tstat on and off and check ammeter while doing so

Dbor
03-04-2017, 08:25 AM
Response from Suntouch tech support:

"The reason we ask them to wait 28 days is to make sure that the thin set has fully cured and the moisture is completely gone. Heating up the floor prior to the 28 days can cause air pockets in the thin set and the heat will burn up the wires as it will not have a way to dissipate."

I hadn't thought of the heat dissipation issue.

eurob
03-04-2017, 09:56 AM
Not all mortars are created equal . 28 days is to accomodate '' all '' of them , regardless of differences .

I would really be interested in knowing what '' air pockets '' definition -- technical and otherwise -- is .