3 x6 glass tiles cracking after 3 months [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : 3 x6 glass tiles cracking after 3 months

Remodman
02-24-2017, 02:58 PM
Hi Guys,
Happy Friday: cheers:
Can anyone tell me what's up, I tiled a shower 3 months ago using 3"x 6" glass tiles, they have that painted white backing on them, I used custom's flexbond white with a 1/4" x 1/4" trowel and installation went with without any problems. The home owner call and sent me picture of tiles cracking in random places and directions. It started about 2 months after I finished. I also did a tub deck with them and there are not any problems with that.
The odd thing is only tiles I cut are the ones that are cracking.
Floor & Décor told them the install was not correct but I need some professional opinions.

Thoughts please

Sponsored Links

rmckee84
02-24-2017, 03:05 PM
What did you tile over?
Do the cuts have sharp right angle inside corners or did you leave them rounded?
Is the tile approved for wet areas?
Did you leave room for expansion in the corners and use silicone at plane changes?

Remodman
02-24-2017, 03:37 PM
I used 1/2" Hardi backer board on all the walls.
I did not do anything to the tile once it was cut for the inside corners but I did round and polish the outside edges that would be seen.

I had assumed the Floor and Décor store would have sold her the appropriate tile but I don't know myself.

I did leave room in the corners for expansion and siliconed them.

Houston Remodeler
02-24-2017, 03:42 PM
I only had to read as far as the words "Floor & Decor"

Their latest glass tile supplier is from China. Its all complete garbage.

You have my condolences.

Dave Gobis
02-24-2017, 04:28 PM
You might ask them if the tile meets ANSI A 137.2 and go from there.

Houston Remodeler
02-24-2017, 04:34 PM
Dave,

There is nothing on the box aside from the brand name. Nada.

rmckee84
02-24-2017, 05:02 PM
Setting glass in a shower without an Antifracture is a bit of a gamble. I don't use customs products for the most part so I don't know if flexbone is a good choice or not.

I think the biggest problems are, the tile itself this is the second or third F&D glass problem I've heard in the last few weeks, and installing glass directly over Hardi.

Dave Gobis
02-24-2017, 05:26 PM
I don't agree with that Ryan. There are manufacturers who specifically tell you not to use a membrane and others that do. If you want to get real technical, under standards, glass should only be installed over a CBU backer board which is ASTM C 1325, not C1288 which is Fiber Cement Backer Board

I get that it is not on the box Paul, doesn't not make it a starting point. If someone has never heard of standards (which are designed to assure minimum performance) then one would assume there are none, which is not the case. They may well meet them, or they may not. You can't arbitrarily say something is junk when there is nothing to base the opinion on except where it is made. Not a defense for the masters of infringement, just a statement.

Houston Remodeler
02-24-2017, 05:28 PM
I should have been more clear, like Ryan, I've seen a number of complaints in the last few months about the very same tile from F&D.

Remodman
02-24-2017, 06:58 PM
So did I mess up by using backer board?
Any obvious mistakes on my part??

rmckee84
02-24-2017, 07:21 PM
Dave knows more of the technical aspects so I default to him on the backboard. Did you waterproof it or just use a moisture barrier behind it?

Remodman
02-25-2017, 06:59 AM
I did not

rmckee84
02-25-2017, 08:36 AM
So, neither? Cement board needs a moisture barrier between it and the studs at the very least in a wet area. If there's nothing behind the Hardi, and no topical waterproofing the few cracked tiles are the least of your worries.

Dave Gobis
02-25-2017, 09:31 AM
I really wouldn't say mess up. Back when all the research on this was going on it was found the rapid shrinkage stress using a non-cement substrate produced more surface tension cracking. Going over membranes often produced shadows or "ghosting". Hence the reason for check with the manufacturer.

Remodman
02-25-2017, 09:59 AM
Sorry missed the first question, I did install a moisture barrier between the studs and backer board.

Karls tile Inc
02-25-2017, 04:32 PM
Did you set it with a grout joint?

Remodman
02-26-2017, 04:10 PM
I did it was an 1/8" space

rmckee84
02-26-2017, 04:34 PM
If you can post pics that may help a little. Assuming you taped/thinset all the joints, used proper fasteners, didn't exceed stud spacing, I will say its the glass. Like I said earlier there's been a few posts in the last few months about glass from F&D doing similar things.

Davy
02-26-2017, 09:15 PM
I've done a couple glass tile jobs recently from F&D. I have had issues with the size, labeling and shading of their tiles and mosaics but haven't had any broken glass tiles (knock on wood). I was plenty skeered when they drilled for the shower door. No broken tiles yet but who knows, any day now...