Removing mortar bed from hot mop pan [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Removing mortar bed from hot mop pan

Jack of None
01-30-2017, 12:27 PM
I am happy to find this great site. Lots of participation here which is reassuring. Learning curves can be steep for this DIYer.

I had a hot mop pan installed in our master bath shower remodel and it turned out great. The slope was correct, the weeps on the drain are clear and pea gravel is sitting nicely around the holes. I had 3 bags of high strength quickcrete mortar mix laying around and one thinset mortar mix so stupid is me used them for the mortar bed. For the first batch I used two 55 pound bags of the quickcrete high strength mortar with a set retarder to control the cure. The consistency of the mix seemed good: not too wet which tamped down and formed nicely. Things turned real ugly after this. The second batch was a mix of the said quickrecte and the thinset mortar also with set retarder which was sticky and not cooperative to shape. Bang Head on Wall! The slope dropped near the walls and became flat.

Do you think it is feasible to remove the mortar bed without causing too much damage to the hot mop pan? Or is it okay to add about 1/2" of good mortar to the top of the above described amateur mess to correct the slope?

As of writing this it is approaching 24 hours since pouring in 50-60 degree temps.

Sponsored Links

cx
01-30-2017, 12:34 PM
Welcome, David. :)

I been to California, but I ain't never done a hot-mop shower receptor. And hope I never do, truth be known.

That said, I'd recommend you remove the mortar bed you have and replace it with a properly constructed deck mud bed. It's important that the final mud bed be porous in nature, both to let water filter through it to the weep holes and to allow the moisture to dry through the top surface.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Jack of None
01-30-2017, 12:56 PM
Hi CX it TX,

Thanks for your kind reply. I was thinking of running a diamond blade grinder in pie shape cuts and then trying to break it out but am feeling skeered about damage to the hot mop pan. Do you think the thinset is too hydraulically sealed?

I would also need to give the wife a couple of bucks to go shopping so she would not witness my mistake or my DIY days at the house would be in jeopardy but that is another problem.

cx
01-30-2017, 02:02 PM
Do you think the thinset is too hydraulically sealed? No idea what you mean there, David, but the longer you delay the more difficult it will be to remove.

Davy
01-30-2017, 09:17 PM
Like Cx said, bust it out. Sooner the better.