How to make Curved tiled base for round shower? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : How to make Curved tiled base for round shower?

smooth2222
01-28-2017, 06:20 PM
I need help figuring out how to make this tiled base?

First picture is what I have now.
2nd picture is Vigo without a base.
3rd picture is Vigo with base.

I don't Want that ugly plastic base when I'm going to be tiling the shower walls in marble. How would I go about making a base that I can tile? all help appreciated.

How would I go about making my own curved custom base?

Sponsored Links

Davy
01-28-2017, 08:11 PM
The only way I know is to cut a bunch of short pieces 2-3 inches long and connect them together. I wonder how much flex the plastic has. Bonding could be a problem.

jadnashua
01-28-2017, 08:54 PM
The least expensive way to do this would be to make your own shower pan out of deckmud, but the easier way would be to do it with one of the foam shower pans and cut it to the shape you want. You can make a curved curb out of wood, but again, foam would be easier. The wood would need to be covered with either a liner (really tough to get it to form to that curve!) or probably 1/4" drywall, if you were going to cover it with either Kerdi or Hydroban sheet (the only two membranes tested to work over drywall in a shower). You can use the foam to also make a curb. Probably the easier material would be to use KerdiBoard panel for the curb that has one side sliced to make it flexible so it can be bent into a curve. Putting the waterproofing membrane on top of the pan and curb will be lots tougher with the curves, and you might need to go a little Frankenstein on it and mix some materials, so you won't have a warranty.

Wedi foam panels have some shower kits that might just work to give you the shape shower you want.

PetrH
01-28-2017, 11:30 PM
use 2" kerdi board and cut out curved sections on a bandsaw (or with a sharp knife. Go to the Schluter web site and you will see lots of examples of their radius work. With precise work and the right tile selection, a pre fab base can look pretty sharp. As for the actual tile work see the second picture.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=192307&stc=1&d=1485667702http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=192308&stc=1&d=1485667702

smooth2222
02-24-2017, 10:48 AM
1. In my picture, looks like my tile goes complete under the shower? Can I build my shower pan on top of my existing tile?

2. Thinking of making my own shower pan. What would I use, Deck Mud? Or some other material? Of course I would make my slope for water drainage.

3. Can I make my Curb out of the material. I would make the curb 3.5 inches or 3 inches depending on next question.

4. I put my waterproof membrane/material on top of the shower pan I made, then I put another layer of deck mud on top of that? Then tile?

5. My waterproof membrane goes behind my drywall?

6. How do I attach my waterproof membrane to the curb?

7. What type of drywall do I use? I see people mentioning 2 different kinds.

I'm assuming my current shower has regular drywall.

much appreciated.

rmckee84
02-24-2017, 11:05 AM
1. I guess you could but I wouldn't. I would strip it down to the subfloor and start there.

2. Yes, I like mapei 4:1 bagged mix but you can mix your own with portland and sand.

3. Yes but its going to be a challenge.

4. What are your plans for waterproofing? A traditional pan using a preslope/liner/top bed may be difficult with a curved base. I would consider a one step mud bed with a topical waterproofing like kerdi or similar.

5.6.7. Need more information.
What is your plan for waterproofing walls?

smooth2222
02-24-2017, 01:16 PM
1. If tiled all the way under the shower, your method I would have to remove the tile underneath and cut a perfect curve in the tile where it will meet my mud pan?

3. Using kerdi to coat my mud pan would be acceptable to code? thought you had to have a liner I see in all these how to videos.

5,7 whatever you guys recommend? So I would just use kerdi on the mud pan and coat up the wall?

I'm not worried about cost, rather do things the right way, also saving tons of money doing it myself.

I have tiled floors and back splashes in my past, shower makes me nervous cause water is involved and has to be done correctly.

"I would consider a one step mud bed with a topical waterproofing like kerdi or similar." This would make step 4 a whole lot easier.

smooth2222
02-24-2017, 01:36 PM
Just watched a great video, is this how I should do it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVaPHoYkU-U

My problem is how do I apply kerdi around the curved mud pan? I would end up with creases.

smooth2222
02-24-2017, 02:28 PM
wouldn't it be easier to use redgard as I can just roll it on? is that code approval also?

rmckee84
02-24-2017, 02:38 PM
Still doesn't help me, how are you planning to construct this shower?
Are you going with a system like kerdi?
Or a traditional receptor (water in, water out)?
What about walls?
A shower install needs to work together as a system, once you establish what you want to use then I can suggest a route to accomplish what you're wanting. Each part needs to tie into the next.