Kitchen Counter top [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Counter top

Vi Kris
01-22-2017, 12:55 PM
Water damage under 4" Ceramic tile on kitchen counter top. Pulled the tile(s), tile was installed on particle board :( cleaned up all the loose nasties, letting it dry, will bleach for any mold or mildew friends.
Thinking about using System Three T-88 to fill gaps in the particle board and bring it up to the proper levels. Then set the tile once the T-88 is cured.
Will thin set stick to the T-88, I think it will be pretty slick. Or is there a better tile adhesive I can use?
Also, thinking about using the Fushion Pro tile grout, I think it is a silicone grout that has a little more flexibility in case the tile does shift a little bit?
Thoughts? Not ready to replace counter top at this time, unfortunately. Thank you in advance for your ideas and assistance.
Kindest Regards, Vicki

Sponsored Links

rmckee84
01-22-2017, 01:53 PM
1. Might stick, but the biggest problem is if it is particle board the entire countertop is set up for failure. I don't believe there is a thinset approved for use over particle board.
2. Personally I'd avoid fusion pro, had too many respected pros tell me of the failures they've had to deal with recently.

Tool Guy - Kg
01-22-2017, 09:22 PM
Hi Vicki,

Initially, it sounds like whatever you do, it's going to be a temporary fix. But if you could give us a picture, that might be helpful.

:)

jadnashua
01-22-2017, 09:59 PM
When this fails, consider just using a panel of KerdiBoard to make your new countertop...lots of how-to videos on Schluter's website. Totally impervious to water.