the 5 year old new shower [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : the 5 year old new shower

Hex Hatch
01-18-2017, 09:26 PM
Hello All,

Before i start, i just wanted to Thank this site for some great information
It has help over the years.

I built our house 5 years ago, and more or less did most of the work myself, from concrete to finish landscape, one thing that didn't get done is our walk in shower. Back when i was finishing the interior before we moved in, I did pour the mud pan on a PVC liner with Oatley weep drain, and lined walls/ceiling with denshield. I started to read about Kerdi, and decided to waterproof entire shower with the kerdi membrane. (thanks John Bridges for kerdi install info)

5 years later, i ripped out the niche after learning tips on building niche after tile has started and re- doing the curb I'm ready for tile.

I'm going with a 12x24 tile on the walls and ceiling with cut pebble stone floor.
starting with walls then ceiling and finish with the floor.

1. my 12x24 tile is pretty flat, i do like the running bond pattern and think i could keep flat with a leveling system, but do hate the small pcs in corner.
is there a rule of thumb for "wrapping tile around corner to look like one pc.
or use a center layout with matching cut pc

2. Can i put one more layer of kerdi over the existing kerdi on the floor that has been installed 5 years ago, i do have to waterproof curb yet after re-doing, and thought with all the foot traffic the past 5 years, etc. If only i knew what i know now, should have keep kerdi off floor until ready for floor.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

rmckee84
01-18-2017, 10:44 PM
1. Dealers choice really, I like to use the cut off piece to continue around to wrap my corner when possible especially if a tile has a grain or bold pattern.

2. I don't see that being a problem. So do you have a conversion drain to go from the clamping to a bonding flange type drain?

rmckee84
01-18-2017, 11:02 PM
Corner wraps on the last shower I did trying to make the pattern flow

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

JerseyDIYguy
01-19-2017, 08:59 AM
Wrapping the corner is a good way to go when your tiles are large and have a distinct pattern that flows across the tile.

Here's a pic of a recent project where I used 10" x 28" tiles with a wavy surface pattern. Wrapping them around the corner gave it a nice look in terms of how the wavy pattern is continuous around the corner, and how the running bond is also maintained around the corner (you need to look closely to see the grout lines near the corner due to the lighting in the pic).