Removed Fireplace Hearth - How to get ready for tile [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Removed Fireplace Hearth - How to get ready for tile

jmon22
01-18-2017, 05:02 PM
Hello all, just discovered this site today and looks like a great place. Searched old posts but could not find an exact situation that I'm facing. Removed an old brick hearth and want to retile with marble flush to the carpet. I am currently down to a mortar bed which is about 3/4" below the finished carpet level. Not entirely level (certainly not level enough to tile). What are my next steps here?

1) Try to level this mortar bed as much as possible, and go from there?

2) Take off this mortar bed and build back up? Looks to be concrete block on the back half and non-level bricks on the front section under here (as shown on the side shot of the access hole).

3) What to do with this access hole that was created when the fireplace was set?

Appreciate any and all help

Sponsored Links

jmon22
01-19-2017, 07:31 AM
Going to fill the hole with concrete, level the top with a diamond cup blade on an angle grinder, and use ditra over it unless anyone has any better advice before then.

Thanks!!

rmckee84
01-19-2017, 08:19 AM
That's a dusty route to go, and may be hard to get all those dips and humps out.
I would fill the hole with something packable, then float the area out with any number of products. Ardex AM100 is one that could be applied thin enough and still leave room for the tile to come out flush with the carpet. Basically any cement based patching product that is rated to whatever depth you need to build up would suffice.