Can I put sealer on lime mortar? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Can I put sealer on lime mortar?

Anaya
01-17-2017, 08:50 AM
Hello experts and helpful people!
For reasons that are now eluding me, I decided to make my own mortar out of lime and sand. I'm using it to place river pebbles between large pieces of exterior flagstone. The flagstone was cemented with normal S-type mortar, and we left about 2-4" deep spaces between them for the river pebbles. The pebbles are natural and all different shapes and depths.

The process is going more or less ok (although I do wonder if anyone knows of any basic videos about doing this - I really don't know what I'm doing and I'm having a puzzling time with the mortar bulging out along the edge of the pebbles, and then the pebbles tend to sink when I go over them with a sponge and then when I tried to clean off the excess with acid it rubbed off the top bit of the mortar as well because I think I needed to wait longer), but my primary question is the following: I was going to put sealer on the flagstones once I finish acid-cleaning them. Can I put the sealer on the mortar as well, or does that defeat the purpose of using the lime? Or are there breathable sealers out there that would be appropriate?

Please feel free to laugh at me all you like - it's hard to believe I decided to tackle this and do it with my own handmade mortar when I have no idea how to do it at all! But I will appreciate all useful information along with the jibes (which I totally deserve).

Sponsored Links

Todd Groettum
01-17-2017, 10:14 AM
Lime Mortar has a Low PSI rate, quite low if mixed improperly, i expect it will hold up for awhile but will fail in time depending on the conditions....It has a better chance holding up under no foot traffic..Most would use a Brick type sealer on a Lime Mortar...

Anaya
01-17-2017, 10:38 AM
Yeah, as I said, dont know why i'm doing this! On the other hand, the area will have very limited traffic - just me and the cats.

Just out of curiosity, do you know how they mixed it in ancient times that made it last so long?