Pebbles Under Bathroom tiles [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Pebbles Under Bathroom tiles

Jwennet
01-16-2017, 09:17 PM
Hello,

I ran into something very unusual while demo-ing my kitchen ceiling, which is below my bathroom–joist bays below the tiled portion of the floor have pebbles packed into them, and seem to be cemented together.

What's more unusual is that they are packed in around CVPC pipes. The house was built in 1927, before CPVC. The pebbles are held in place by perpendicular planks that sit on top of strips of 1 x 3 (?) attached to the joists (running parallel).

Make sense?

I don't know what this is, and if it's safe to remove without compromising the floor's structural integrity.

Thanks,

Jason

Sponsored Links

Houston Remodeler
01-16-2017, 09:28 PM
Jason,

In the olden days when dinosaurs roamed free, and John and Davy were mudding floors, it was commonplace to drop the floor between the joists (as you have) then mud in between (and some on top of) the joists. The floor tiles were set into this fresh, wet drypack in what is called the wet set method.

Sounds like someone removed the original floor, and re-packed the floor with drypack but decided to add pebbles as 'drypack helper' to extend his mixture.

If you're re-tiling the bath, first use our handy dandy deflecto-lator linked in the dark blue bar above.

Davy
01-16-2017, 09:46 PM
Yeah, what Paul said, sounds like dry pack mud. I still see those old floors now and then. :tup2: