splash gaurd [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : splash gaurd

kd5exp
01-16-2017, 10:47 AM
First tile walk in shower builder and tile installer. I am building a walk in shower for my wife who has had a stroke. I have gotten most of the inside done. shower and hand sprayer work fine. Taking a shower with her the other night I noticed the sprayer spraying on the tile when hung in it's holder. I am afraid over time this is going to get under the tile and cause a problem. I was thinking about putting a chromed stainless steel plate up there to let the water splash on. I can't seem to find what I want. Really don't care about size as long as it's big enough. Even a round one would be ok. Somewhere around 8 to 12 inches round, square or retangle with a chrome like finish to match the shower parts. Any ideas where I can find one. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

cx
01-16-2017, 11:01 AM
Welcome, Gene. :)

If you constructed and waterproofed your shower properly there is no problem at all with directing water flow directly at the walls.

Care to tell us more specifically how you build the shower?

kd5exp
01-16-2017, 09:08 PM
I have been watching youtube and taking notes. I had to gut the bathroom out to the studs. I had to cut the tub and shower insert in 3 pieces to get it out. Studs were 1 by 4's so I sistered them with 2 by 4's. This is a mobile home so nothing is normal. I put up concrete board all the way around. My original idea about building a bench so she could slide off the toilet onto a bench didn't work out so I put up a wall instead. I painted the whole inside and some out with red guard. Inside of shower is all 6 by 6 white tiles with a mosaic floor in the shower floor. 3 coats of sealer on all the tiles and grout. Only problem I have in the shower when I was putting down the shower floor tiles I leaned on it and I have a slight low spot next to the drain. Lots of flaws everywhere but nothing too bad. I was just thinking that water constantly spraying on the tile and grout it would eventually find it's way behind the tile over the years. This was my first attempt at a bathroom and maybe my last. Wife is having a hard time getting in and out of the tub and our stand up shower in the master is very small and she can't stand up that long. Got a lot more to do like finish grouting the walls, put the vanity back and tile the ceiling. It is a long hard job for me but an estimate of 12 to 15 thousand I was willing to give it a try.

Davy
01-16-2017, 09:23 PM
Cx is talking about the moisture barrier. You mentioned Redgard over the cement board. If you did that on the walls behind the tiles, no water should get thru the cement board. The sealer on the tiles and grout have nothing to do with water proofing the shower. The waterproofing is behind the tiles. :)

Houston Remodeler
01-16-2017, 09:41 PM
When watching Youtube, avoid that Georgia tile guy. He gets some right, but enough wrong to be dangerous.

Do watch every Sal DiBlasi (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWpu9UZ6aiRTaMuuV8-C0pQ) video. :bow:

Every manufacturer also makes excellent videos

kd5exp
01-16-2017, 09:56 PM
I watched so many different ones trying to get the nerve to start this project. There are many different ways to do some things. I started this project the beginning of November and still have a ways to go. Me and the wife both are on disability and funds are real tight. With my bad back if I can get an hour work done I am doing good. I guess I will call it good for now. I have a lifetime warranty on it anyway. Deal is I have to do the warranty work myself.