Ditra XL proximity to wall [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Ditra XL proximity to wall

lone_tree
01-16-2017, 12:10 AM
DIYer, first time using Ditra XL. I have 24" OC joists with 3/4" T&G plywood subflooring so it seemed like the right choice. Schluter recommends their trowel or a 1/4" square notch when laying the XL. As such, you can imagine I had a fair amount spill out around the edges as I worked the membrane into the thinset from the middle on out.

I'm concerned because this thinset in many places is now touching the wall framing (I have a 3/4" gap between the subfloor and drywall). It's a latex modified thinset, if that matters. The concern is that I now have no expansion space around the edges in a lot of places because of the spillage. Do I need to use my oscillating multi tool to cut this excess out before I lay the tile?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links

jadnashua
01-16-2017, 01:08 AM
I don't think you'll have a problem as long as you leave an expansion gap for the tile to the walls. The thinset is fairly soft, while the tile is quite rigid. If it hasn't been more than a day, you should be able to scrape most of it away if you want, but the longer you wait, the harder it will become.

I do not know if Schluter is open on the holiday (probably are), so to make you feel better, I'd just call their tech support in the morning to confirm.