HELP: How to PREP for TILE inside Shower Window [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : HELP: How to PREP for TILE inside Shower Window

BennieFresh
01-14-2017, 09:19 AM
Good Morning,
I'm remodeling a bathroom of mine and needing a little help/advice... I've started putting up Durock cement boards in the shower area and now I'm wondering how, or if I need to put cement boards in the window sills of the window in the shower?? I was wondering do I put a thin wood slat in there, and then cement board to that? OR can I cement board directly onto concrete? ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

I've attached pictures below.

Thank you for your time! :yo:

Ben :wave:

Sponsored Links

rmckee84
01-14-2017, 10:42 AM
The first thing you'll want to do is figure out what the final reveal will be on the window. You want to try and get it so that its the same all the way around, just like when you trim out a window with casing you try and keep the reveal of the jamb consistent.

If you are doing a surface applied WP then you should be able to tapcon the cbu directly to the concrete. Make sure and put a little pitch on the bottom piece so water doesnt run back towards the window.

Not sure what you plan on using for waterproofing so its hard to tell you the best route for doing so around the window. I like sheet Membranes so if I were in your spot I'd put some kerdifix on the edge of the cbu butting up to the window when installing it. Then I would install kerdi on cbu, fold, then use kerdifix to adhere it to the vinyl window. Then when dry I'd cover that little bit of kerdi with kerdifix.

There's other ways but that would be my plan of attack

Carbidetooth
01-14-2017, 11:16 AM
I agree with Ryan. Surface membrane is easiest way to deal with an already installed window to keep it good and watertight.

Looks like some kind of spacer or filler on the left side there? What is that between window frame and foundation wall...I hope it's flexible.

Getting reveals even would certainly be high on my priority list as well. A number of ways to get there. Essentially take backer+thinset+tile+reveal and fur out varying amounts so that it even things out.

BennieFresh
01-14-2017, 11:54 AM
Ok thank you, this will greatly help.

As for the filler, the window installer installed a grout to fill in the space since the new impact window was wider than previous window there.

I like that plan of attack, THANK YOU SO MUCH!:wohoo:

rmckee84
01-14-2017, 02:16 PM
Just felt I should mention that make sure you add more furring strips around the window and plenty of tapcons to secure.