Sealed Saltillo over ditra [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Sealed Saltillo over ditra

Vintage Craftsman
01-12-2017, 08:21 PM
Long time lurker, first time poster. I am a gc on a full bath redesign. We have the subfloor and support structure to allow for the Saltillo on the floor. 3/4"ply t&g subfloor screwed every 8" into joists. Then 3/8" ply screwed every 8" avoiding joists leaving 1/8" gap at butt joints.

The Saltillo dealer sold my customer PermaFlex 300 to set the Saltillo with. The tiles are already sealed. I don't mind fudging Schluters recommendations...So my questions are:
1. Should I use a modified to attach the ditra to the plywood?
2. Should I use the premaflex to attach the Saltillo to the ditra?
3. I've read about setting unsealed Saltillo, the soaking, the waiting a week to grout and then another week before traffic. What is the best practice of the forum as far as sealed Saltillo goes?

Thanks in advance.
-David
Abilene TX

Sponsored Links

cx
01-12-2017, 09:10 PM
Welcome, David. :)

If you'll add that geographic location to your User Profile it'll remain permanently in view to aid in answering some types of questions. If you don't, the information will likely be lost before we leave this page.

1. You must use a modified thinset mortar meeting ANSI A118.11 to bond anything to a plywood substrate. You'll find that in Schluter's recommendations for Ditra. I would not recommend using that LHT mortar for the purpose.

2. If you don't care about Schluter's warranty and that's what you wanna use, that's entirely up to you.

3. Pre-sealed Saltillo can be set the same as you would a ceramic tile.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Vintage Craftsman
01-12-2017, 09:45 PM
Sorry I didn't mean to use the permaflex to set the ditra.

I've never used permaflex before. Will it work well for setting the Saltillo?

So with it being pre sealed don't wet it. And you're able to grout next day?

John Bridge
01-13-2017, 10:08 AM
Hi David, :)

I've never used PermaFlex, so I can't recommend it. Saltillo tiles (sealed or unsealed) can be bonded with any high quality non-modified mortar to Schluter Ditra.