Shower/Foundation hole [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Shower/Foundation hole

RobG6769
01-10-2017, 02:07 PM
Hi there, I have removed a failed shower, the pan had morphed into the ground and would like some pointers on the fix. I am planning on using the Kerdi base and the full range of Kerdi products. Please see this picture of the drain and its surrounding 'hole'. The p-trap is replaced and the question is on the refill, I have foundation fill/sand etc and will re-pack that in. Is the hole too large to simply pour concrete and level, considering the base will be on there once complete?
I am in central CA and the foundation is solid, atop a granite field.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

Lazarus
01-10-2017, 04:19 PM
Robert~ Once you have established the proper riser height above the slab....typically at least 1/4" above the concrete, you can fill the hole with pretty much anything....sand, broken concrete, tile, etc up to 2/3 or so.

Once the flange is set, I like to use brick morter or morter mix to fully support the flange for the rest of the height.

cx
01-10-2017, 04:51 PM
Welcome, Robert. :)

I like to fill those holes with some sort of packable material up to the bottom of the concrete and pour concrete on top of that to the top of the concrete grade. If you'll put a short piece of 4" PVC pipe in the hole surrounding the riser pipe, it'll leave an opening for your Kerdi drain. If you use the pipe it must be removed for the drain to fit, which I do after the concrete is stiff enough to support it'self.

There is a thread in our (Liberry) showing the dimensions of a Kerdi drain which will allow you to cut your riser to the proper height before pouring your concrete patch.

I'd recommend you eliminate the foam shower tray and make your sloped shower floor from deck mud to perfectly fit your shower footprint and drain location without any regard to whether your concrete is perfectly level as required for the foam tray.

My opinion; worth price charged.