Tile over covered concrete patio? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tile over covered concrete patio?

tombstone
01-10-2017, 09:51 AM
I have a 12' x 14' covered concrete patio that I'm interested in giving a face lift. One of the options I've been kicking around is porcelain tile. I know to look for a tile with a high coefficient of friction and am looking for additional information on how to do a successful installation. I live in Pittsburgh, PA if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any and all advice!

Sponsored Links

cx
01-10-2017, 09:57 AM
Welcome back, Jeff. :)

Just what is it you'd like to know aside from your tile selection?

tombstone
01-10-2017, 12:27 PM
Thanks! It's good to be back!

I was wondering more about concrete preparation - it was never sealed or painted. Also, do I need a decoupling membrane or should I coat the concrete with red guard.

... thats just for starters.

cx
01-10-2017, 04:41 PM
If the patio is exposed to the elements it really needs to be sloped away from the building, especially in your part of the country.

Otherwise it needs to be clean and not slick textured. Use of any sort of membrane over the concrete is a matter of choice, but, again, in your part of the country I'd want a waterproofing membrane over the sloped concrete if it's exposed to rain and snow.

There is no industry standard for uncoupling membranes, but you can certainly use one if you want. Some of them can provide waterproofing as well. You could also select a crack isolation membrane, which also can be a waterproofing membrane.

How large is this area to be tiled?

My opinion; worth price charged.