Maax tub- defective? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Maax tub- defective?

I'llfixit
01-08-2017, 09:06 PM
Hi all, I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation and was about to start installing the tub when I noticed this(see picture attached). This is towards the bottom in one of the corners, the other corners look similar but this is much more visible, even without a flashlight. It looks to me like when the fiberglass was stretched to fit the mould there was just not enough of it to cover the surface so there is just a layer of acrilyc left in those areas. The tub is Maax Rubix fiberglass/acrilyc. I am about to call the manufaturer and the store I bough it from but I wanted to get a second opinion. My questions is: Is this considered normal or does it look like trouble waiting to happen? Thanks in advance for your help!
Also the pictures is upside down, sorry. I tried to flip it over but it just wouldn't

Sponsored Links

Tool Guy - Kg
01-08-2017, 09:47 PM
Trouble waiting to happen.

:)

cx
01-08-2017, 10:35 PM
Welcome, Ivan. :)

I'd be returning that one.

Not familiar with that brand and I'll be curious to see how they handle this.

Houston Remodeler
01-09-2017, 08:52 AM
Thank the Lord you caught it early !

I'llfixit
01-13-2017, 07:11 AM
So I exchanged the tub. The new one looks a lot better. Now I'm back with another issue. We dry-fitted the tub- all leveled with a ledger board on all three sides of the alcove (1x3 per manufacturer's instructions) and shims under the 2 feet in the back of the tub, there will be mortar under it per manufacturer's recommendations. The issue is that the bottom of the lip that sits on the ledger board is not very straight and as a result most of it does not sit flush with the ledger board. I am particularly warried about the back which only touches in one end of the tub. As a result there is some flexing when I press down on the board and thats not cool. What should I do?

Houston Remodeler
01-13-2017, 07:51 AM
Fix the ledger boards so they match the tub and they are as crooked as each other. This is VERY typical

I'llfixit
01-13-2017, 12:56 PM
Thanks, Houston. I raised one side of the ledgerboard, now I have support on both sides and still no support and movement in the middle. Should I shim? I don't even know if the 3x1 is wide enough for that since really only half of it's with has contact with the lip. I am also going to screw the lip to the joists but would call that "support"

Tool Guy - Kg
01-14-2017, 01:38 AM
I, myself, wouldn't shim.

I'd pull the tub out and scribe fit the ledger board to the wonky underside of the tub ledge. It will be worth the effort.

:)

I'llfixit
02-26-2017, 10:12 AM
Thanks a lot for everybody's help on the tub install. I ended up scribing the ledger board. It came out perfectly level and very solid. I set it in mortar and I insulated around it. I am very happy with the way it came out. Since then I finished the walls using Wanderboard Lite and Laticrette hydrobarrier waterproofing. I just finished tiling today and I have a question about Grout/Caulking. Tiles are 10x16 with 1/8 gap, I used 3/8 inch aluminum tile edging trim instead of bullnose tiles and around the edge of my wall niche. I left 1/8 inch gap between the trim and the tiles(should have probably left a smaller gap). My question is: should I caulk between the tub and tiles and grout everywhere else or should I also caulk the corner of the walls and between the tile and the metal trim(both in the niche and at the tile edges)? My understanding is the silicone should be used at any change of planes and between tile and a different surface (corner of the walls and between tile and aluminum) I also see that most people don't really do it this way. Also I am planning on using sanded grout.

rmckee84
02-26-2017, 11:35 AM
Silicone between tile and tub, and all corners. Grout the rest.