Advice on weighing thinset and grout??? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Advice on weighing thinset and grout???

sconytiler
01-06-2017, 01:34 PM
I have never used a scale to measure the correct proportions of thinset/water. Wondering if anyone has any advice on what type of scale to use for this purpose. I am starting to use more Ardex mud and want to make sure I am mixing it correctly. I am usually a one or two man show so I don't always mix full bags at a time. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links

beedees
01-06-2017, 02:13 PM
It's been my experience- using Mapei, anyway, mix it by ear. Going by the instructions on their website:
A. thin-set-way too stiff
B. grout-way too loose
Result, a lot lot of wasted effort and money.

rmckee84
01-06-2017, 02:34 PM
If you're using Ardex it's measured by volume. I bought a couple measuring pails and just follow the directions on the back.

sconytiler
01-06-2017, 03:12 PM
I just thought it may be easier to mix half a 40# bag of x5 at a time. I would have a bucket marked to the 3 to 3.5 quarts of water required. Then pour out half a bag at a time, checking on the scale to make sure I'm using 20#. This just seems easier than measuring 1 part water to 2.25 parts powder.

sconytiler
01-06-2017, 06:16 PM
Anybody out there use a scale to measure powder?

argile tile
01-06-2017, 06:29 PM
i've weighed batches using a "crane scale" (small ones are cheap yet accurate to to the decimal kg these days) - and it didn't help at all. the ammount of water between thick, medium, and soupy mortar is not much. i assume for allot of mortar you'd drive past the dump and weigh your truck in before/after being loaded.

i've heard it shouldn't be done, because it varies due to temperature, humidity, and also new stock / old stock issues

and again (for building) i've heard you should test your batch (ie, it begins to set w/in a few minutes as it should) before using. (though for tile i think batch testing is less common than for pouring new floors of buildings)

rmckee84
01-06-2017, 06:34 PM
It's really easy to measure by volume, but if you really want to weigh it I know some guys just use a bathroom scale. It seriously takes me 30 seconds to measure my mix.

jadnashua
01-06-2017, 09:50 PM
I've done it numerous times using a bathroom scale that read out to 0.1#. Once done, it never seems to make a difference of less than a handful of thinset or a half-cup of water. The thing on thinset is, you can't really tell accurately until it is all mixed up, then slakes, then mixed again. Certainly you can get close, but if you want the actual functionality and spec, you should measure IMHO. Many, not all, scales can be zeroed after you've placed something on the bed. That makes it easier to put the water in, then zero, then pour in the thinset until you get the desired dry weight added.

alexava
01-06-2017, 10:57 PM
Not a pro but I have done about 8 jobs now. I just finished a bathroom floor and tub surround. I used Mapei mortar and grout almost every time. This is the first time I bought the additive to mix in the grout. The jug says to be mixed with a ten pound bag of grout. I did that and it got way too soupy for me. I still used it and it worked but I backed myself into a corner by dumping all of the liquid in a bucket and not having the powder to thicken it. My humble advice is too start small and add as needed powder or water. I used to ask the same questions about having a starting point and I never got a clear direction. However for mortar I start with a little less than an inch of water in a bucket then dump about a quarter of a 50# bag in, mix and compensate as needed.

HooKooDoo Ku
01-07-2017, 12:40 AM
I simply used a bathroom scale.

jeff_free69
01-07-2017, 10:11 AM
To do my first bathroom I've been using this kitchen scale - its good up to 33 lbs, so its perfect for quarter or half a bag of thinset

Using USCustom flexbond directions, it works out to 3.2 fluid ounces of water per pound. I find that on the dry/ stiff side. and settled for 3.5 oz Even that doesn't seem soupy, but I've stuck with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D63SH3Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AGXGZULCHVII2

just make sure you wipe all the silica dust off it before you chop the tomatoes ...

sconytiler
01-07-2017, 10:57 AM
Just the info I was looking for. Thanks Jeff

jeff_free69
01-07-2017, 11:13 AM
cool - just want to point out its got a bit of a small footprint for the usual 5 gallon pail.
I worked so pathetically slow doing smaller subway tiles that 10 lb batches in a ~2 gallon pail worked out best for me.
in any event you may want to measure out 5 - 10 lbs in a small pail at a time and dump in the bigger bucket (this can make a lot of dust, so proceed accordingly)

jadnashua
01-07-2017, 05:17 PM
I've mixed partial batches on all of my tiling jobs, but I admit there aren't a huge amount of them! But, while I've not encountered this, in theory, you could run into problems if the material has settled in the bag, leaving say most of the sand on one side of the bag and the cement on the other. With today's modern production processes, the material is quite well mixed, at least from what I've seen, prior to bagging it. I think the only time you might see this is after a really long transport where vibration caused some things to separate. This might be more of an issue with grout, but, again, I've not noticed...probably because most jobs didn't even use a full bag of grout to finish.

RichVT
01-08-2017, 10:56 AM
To do my first bathroom I've been using this kitchen scale - its good up to 33 lbs, so its perfect for quarter or half a bag of thinset

Using USCustom flexbond directions, it works out to 3.2 fluid ounces of water per pound. I find that on the dry/ stiff side. and settled for 3.5 oz Even that doesn't seem soupy, but I've stuck with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=AGXGZULCHVII2

just make sure you wipe all the silica dust off it before you chop the tomatoes ...

For 16 bucks, I might have to think about upgrading from this:

louky
01-08-2017, 06:38 PM
I'm a beginner and also leery of mixing too large a batch because I work slow. I've been using something like this https://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Scales-Table-Postal/dp/B004W7IOV4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1483922026&sr=8-4&keywords=postal+scale

Just put the bucket on, zero it, and add powder until I get to 10 lbs. or 20 if I'm feeling confident. The top is smaller than the bucket but it still seems to work OK.