Installing Large Marble Jambs on Wall [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Installing Large Marble Jambs on Wall

Sobie1
01-05-2017, 06:46 PM
Hi Everyone,

I've been reading these forums a lot while renovating our basement bathroom. It's a great resource. I finally thought it was time to ask for some advice.

We bought some large marble floor jambs that we want to put on the curb and running up the walls to frame the shower. These are 72x6x3/4" jambs and are pretty heavy. Eventually glass walls and a door will be attached to enclose the shower.

I went a little overboard and installed Kerdi over cement backer board. Here are some questions I was hoping you guys could answer:

- What's the best way to adhere the jambs to the wall? Would regular thin set work or should I use something else?

- Do I need to do anything to secure these large jambs to the wall while the adhesive dries?

- if installed properly, can Kerdi take that kind of weight? Do I need to worry about it separating from the wall?

- The walls are 8 feet so we will have a seam somewhere. Any suggestions where and how to best hide it?

Thanks,

Mark

Sponsored Links

Houston Remodeler
01-05-2017, 06:54 PM
Mark,

Welcome to the forum

1- regular white thinset is fine

2- yes, no worries about the weight

3- make the seam out of sight

The large marble pieces in this shower are thresholds.

cx
01-05-2017, 07:03 PM
Welcome, Mark. :)

Don't know what you mean by having gone overboard, but:

1. I would recommend a good quality white modified thinset mortar presuming yours to be a light colored marble.

2. Leave them alone.

3. The minimum industry standard shear bonding requirement for the Kerdi on both sides is 50 psi. Unless your marble pieces weigh more than 21,600 pounds I wouldn't be concerned.

4. I dunno.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Sobie1
01-05-2017, 08:10 PM
Thanks to both of you for responding so quickly. I plan on tackling this on the weekend and will let you know how it goes.