Need design input for tile around shower niche [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Need design input for tile around shower niche

kateskatfish
01-05-2017, 04:48 PM
My husband and I are re-doing our shower/tub with tub to ceiling 12"x24" ceramic tile. There are three niches (well, it came in two Redi-niche pieces -see pic) and we are going to use satin nickel Schluter strips to trim out each of the three niches. We also have a decorative mosaic tile to go in the inset of the niches.

My dilemma is that my hard-working husband installed the big field tiles around one of the niches in a way that breaks the tile pattern (there will be one odd piece of tile in between the small niche and the larger niche below it). Do you guys think this is a big design flaw or will it not be that noticeable to most people? My husband does not want to remove the two big tiles and re-cut new ones to fix this problem but would it bother you? I'm just a perfectionist and want to do it right but we are learning as we go...

Don't mind the duct tape and plastic around the bathtub... we've been taking baths for a while now since the shower is out of commission...

Sponsored Links

kateskatfish
01-05-2017, 04:58 PM
Also, I was thinking we need to use sanded grout for the big field tiles since they are 1/8" (or slightly more) apart but unsanded grout for the mosaic tile - does that make sense or is that the best plan?

Thanks!

Houston Remodeler
01-05-2017, 06:34 PM
Katie,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm gonna side with the DH on this one. You're lucky to have a husband who can do a shower so nicely. No one will notice the pattern but you and us and we're not gonna point it out to anyone. When you show the shower to your friends (and you should) I'll bet no one says a word about the grout joints.

Remember the golden rule of construction; Neatness reigns supreme

The installation certainly is very neat, with crisp lines. Well executed. :clap2:

Use sanded grout for best performance. Fusion, Plasma, or Flexcolor would be my first choice.

kateskatfish
01-05-2017, 06:37 PM
Thank you for your opinion! Yes, I am lucky to have such a skilled and handy husband. He works hard (too hard, sometimes). :) I just want to make sure it is done right and I have read so many blogs about "proper" installation so I thought I'd just get advice! I really appreciate it! I will tell myself to not worry about it.

Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
01-05-2017, 08:25 PM
What if you ran the Schluter metal across the shelf all the way down? Then across for the shelf?

edit: Shouldn't the metal already be in? Are you going to have the big flat part out?

kateskatfish
01-05-2017, 08:37 PM
What do you mean exactly by running the Schluter metal across the shelf all the way down and then across for the shelf? So the little part in between the big niche and the small niche would be boxed in by Schluter?

Yes, the plan to use the Schluter strips was decided a little late in the game but we are using the "Rondec" bull-nosed kind so there will be a curved edge around each niche. Also using it along the wall on the edge of the tile.

Thanks!

Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
01-05-2017, 09:16 PM
So it's Rondec (http://www.schluter.com/schluter-us/en_US/Profiles/For-Walls/Decorative/Schluter%C2%AE-RONDEC-DB/p/RONDEC_DB) which has tiny little out corner that could be used but I'm not really sure how they would look for the shelf. If you were willing to go with Quadec you could use their square corners as an "intersection" where the shelf is I would think. Example of Quadec below.

kateskatfish
01-06-2017, 06:26 PM
Hi, thanks for the tips we have the Rondec ready to go already. We actually ordered corner pieces for the Rondec. Do you think it will be an eye-sore to just put one smaller piece of the field tile there and trim out the niches with the metal above and below? I hope not because I think that's what we're going to do (this weekend)! :)

Thanks! I feel so important - I never post on forums!