Shower Pan Deck Mud Against HVAC Vent?? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Shower Pan Deck Mud Against HVAC Vent??

jaz411
01-05-2017, 02:30 PM
Hi Everyone,

This is an excellent forum and a resource. I discovered this a few months back and have spent countless hours reading through a variety of topics. Thanks to the people to the people who have not only developed this resource, but the countless participants who add their expertise.

Here's my question:
I'm a DIY'er and starting my fourth bathroom project; this is the first one with a stand alone shower. As shown in the pic, I have an air duct on the back wall of the shower which blows heat/ac into the adjacent bathroom. I'd like to put in the preslope and top layer without furring out the back wall. Is it a an issue over the long run if the deck mud and pan liner rest against the duct or should I just take the time to fur out the wall with plywood strips? I'm not sure if it matters, but I'm in the NorthEast (Buffalo, NY).

Sponsored Links

top_hatt
01-07-2017, 12:50 PM
May depend on the waterproofing system you use. If something like kerdi, the half inch backerboard will be installed before the sloped mud pan.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

cx
01-07-2017, 01:48 PM
Welcome, John. :)

I'd want something to separate the metal duct from the Portland cement in your deck mud, but that could be a piece of 6mil poly or #15 roofing felt or.........something to keep the metal from rusting away.

I wouldn't otherwise worry about not having solid blocking there.

My opinion; worth price charged.

jaz411
01-10-2017, 07:49 PM
Thanks CX. I appreciate the advice.

-John