Ceramic corner shelf question [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic corner shelf question

falstaff
01-04-2017, 02:41 PM
First off, great forum here. Looks like it is full of some great people giving solid advise....

I have an slight problem I'm hoping to get some help with. I dropped my showerhead on the corner shelf installed in my shower and an attempted repair with epoxy on the broken pieces left it completely unusable.

I've managed to get the remainder of the broken portion of shelf out with no issues to the surrounding tiles.

The issue I ran into is finding a replacement corner shelf. The HD version, Daltile, is too large and the Lowes version, American Olean, seems to be a smidge too small. Neither version matches the other corner shelf that is not broken. My version has a taller back "above" the shelf and the back portion below the shelf is not as tall. See attached artist rendition

I've googled and all that jazz but cant seem to locate anything other than those sold by Eclectic-ware.com , Home Depot and Lowes.

Who else sells them, does anyone have any ideas?

Lastly, what is the best method to attach the new shelf? A product name would be helpful.

Thanks all!

Sponsored Links

chrishmm69
01-04-2017, 03:00 PM
Do you have a picture of the good shelf?

falstaff
01-04-2017, 03:20 PM
Chris- I'll post one up in an hour or so. Just getting ready to go home for the day.

Thanks for your reply.

falstaff
01-04-2017, 06:41 PM
Pics are upside down sorry

chrishmm69
01-04-2017, 06:59 PM
Maybe this one?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lenape-7-in-x-7-in-Ceramic-Corner-Shelf-in-White-170401/100002150

Your pics make it look like its about 7.5" on each leg and roughly 3" tall.

If you could find one BIGGER than the original, provided there is room for it, I imagine it would be simple to cut out extra tile thats in the way to fit the larger shelf. Wont match perfectly but at least you'll have something.

falstaff
01-04-2017, 08:15 PM
Wow I think that's it! The HD near me doesn't sell it nor do any within 100 miles. But a quick google search using the manufacture name listed I found some!

Thanks again for your help!

Any ideas on the what to use to attach it to the wall?

Houston Remodeler
01-04-2017, 09:43 PM
They normally have a huge lug on the back side. This lug is thinsetted to the subsurface, with the wall tiles tucking slightly under the shelf, next to but not touching the lug.

Did that help or did that further confuse things ?

Once its held into place and the thinset cured, (a stick my be needed) use 100% silicone all around to seal the gaps.

falstaff
01-11-2017, 06:48 PM
I recently had to cut out and find a replacement for a broken ceramic corner shelf. With the help of some folks here I was able to find a direct replacement.....within reason. I did end up having to trim one of the rear lugs and some of the rear casting off with a tile saw. (Pics of trim work attached)

Now I'm to the point I need to attach the shelf to the wall, what do I use?

Thinset, modified thinset, grout..... help!

I picked up a small container of "Tile repair mortar" made by custom and my neighbor gave me a partial bag of "Speedset" also made by custom pics below.

While in the store I saw "Acrylpro" and some other premix thinset. I also was told I could use grout to mud it to the wall and then grout to fill in the edges.

I really would just like some expert advice on how what products to use for the following:

1) Attaching shelf to wall
2) Sealing up around edges after fixing shelf to corner.

Davy
01-11-2017, 07:34 PM
I usually tile the wall up to the height I want the shelf. I then set the shelf on the top edge of that top row of tiles and mark the substrate where the next row of tiles need to be cut. After cutting those tiles and installing them, you should be able to install the shelf using the same thinset you're using to set the tiles. Masking tape will hold it in place until it sets. I grout around the shelf when grouting the tiles.

Don't use Acrylpro or premixed thinset anywhere in a wet area.

falstaff
01-11-2017, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the reply and thanks to the Mod for merging the 2 threads.

The tile is already complete. The corner shelf was broken and had to be replaced.

What thin set should be used? I need to know a product name to ensure I choose the correct on.

Will the one pictured in the bag not work?

This is also a learning experience for me, so thanks in advance for bearing with me.

cx
01-11-2017, 07:46 PM
and my neighbor gave me a partial bag of "Speedset" also made by custom pics below.Unless you know the manufacturer's date on the bag and unless you know when it was opened and unless you know just how it's been stored since then, I'd recommend you return it to your neighbor.

The Tile Repair Mortar should be fine for your application. I've never used the product.

My opinion; worth price charged.

falstaff
01-11-2017, 07:48 PM
Thank you for responding.

So I guess grout (sanded or unsanded) is the way to go over a caulk of some sort?

cx
01-11-2017, 08:16 PM
You do not wanna use grout over caulk nor caulk over grout. I'd likely grout around that fixture, as would Davy, but you could caulk it instead if you prefer.

My opinion; worth price charged.

falstaff
01-12-2017, 04:40 AM
CX- sorry, poor choice of words on my part, let me rephrase.

Would a grout be a better choice than using silicone around the edges after the shelf has been attached with thinset?

Should I use sanded or unsanded grout?

Davy
01-12-2017, 06:43 PM
I would use grout that matches what was used in the tile joints. Sanded or not, I'd try to match it.