DIY Advice - Bathroom Tile [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : DIY Advice - Bathroom Tile

PortlandGoBlue
01-04-2017, 11:12 AM
Hi, I'm a tile newbie and don't want to screw up this installation. I'm using 12 x 24 Porcelain tiles. A couple of background items:

-Cleared particle board, plywood was flat and level underneath
-Layed thinset underneath Hardie board
-Screwed HB in per Manufacturer
-Filled in seams with thinset, taped over seams, put thin layer of thinset over tape
-Next day I scraped off excess using flat side of trowel

I laid down the tiles (without thinset) to see how they fit and 1 seam still produces an uneven surface. I've taken it down to the tape but it is still not completely flat. Maybe I should not have filled the seam with thinset?

Anyway, the question is should I remove the tape over the seam and start again on that seam? If I continue to scrape away on it and it starts coming up, will that cause other issues?

2nd question: I'm going to use LFT mortar (Med Bed Mortar from HD), plan to back butter the tiles. Will this mortar help with this seam issue or have nothing to do with helping it?

Thanks in advance!

John

Sponsored Links

Carbidetooth
01-04-2017, 11:39 AM
Sounds like you've done it right. I'd remove the label, but that's me...

Especially with large format tile you're actually going to "float" tile on a bed of mortar, so to speak. LFT is made for the purpose, lippage systems make alignment of those big tiles easier.

Squashing those tiles down till they grind onto substrate might seem like a good path, but in reality it's not good practice with big format tile and med bed mortar.

Depending on tile backs, I'd probably use a 1/2x1/2x1/2 trowel and back burn tile, perhaps butter more on tile if coverage wasn't sufficient.

PortlandGoBlue
01-04-2017, 11:45 AM
Peter:

Thanks for the response! What about the seam issue I brought up?

I'm not sure what a 'lippage system' is but I will research. I did see videos on those self leveling systems but not sure I want to tackle those here.

Thanks!

John

Carbidetooth
01-04-2017, 12:15 PM
You'll float over the seam with mortar.

And if you didn't already check, your floor needs to be really flat for large format tile.

Fair warning: If this is your first floor tile, the learning curve can be steep with large format, which are rarely themselves flat. And judging from the size, I'd guess you're going to have some offset between courses which just adds to the fun!