Rondec on tilt shower curb still holds water? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Rondec on tilt shower curb still holds water?

97002hew
01-04-2017, 07:40 AM
first time post but have learnt a lot from this site by trying my first shower stall project. I am planning to use Rondec on my shower stall curb. Since Rondec profile is round-shaped, in what way should I install it to prevent it from holding water? profile surface lower than tile? even so will the grout line still be lower than both tile and profile surface and trap water there?

Sponsored Links

Houston Remodeler
01-04-2017, 08:03 AM
Not exactly sure where rondec would be submerged, but in any event a properly waterproofed shower it shouldn't matter.

97002hew
01-04-2017, 08:17 AM
Thanks Paul. Maybe I did not make myself clear. I installed tile risers on shower curb already and I made sure the riser tiles on outside curb is higher than the riser tiles on inside curb wall so that the top tile will tilt inward for water draining. I am trying Rondec profile for top tile but found out the round-shaped Rondec profile will still prevent water from draining inward.

Carbidetooth
01-04-2017, 10:04 AM
I think I get what you're driving at Dave.... wondering about the grout line where tile meets Rondec?

In the overall scope of things it's really insignificant. A little water will cling to that horizontal curb surface in spite of slope. Surface tension sees to that.

Make sure your Rondec is flush with tile, a smidgen lower if it's a big concern to you. As Paul pointed out, proper waterproofing mitigates concern.

It's a little hard to see in photo but that's tile on top of curb. To make things a little easier, I sometimes tape off the edges of the vertical tile and skate thinset over to fill that area between the day before so there's a flatter surface to deal with when setting Rondec and tile.

97002hew
01-04-2017, 10:54 AM
thanks a lot, Peter. I think I got the idea now. Regarding waterproof, I used Kerdi system though I am still nervous about it.

97002hew
01-04-2017, 11:06 AM
Peter, I did not see a Rondec profile on the inside of curb in your picture. The inside Rondec profile is what concerned me. Outside profile is not an issue in my case since I will put a sliding door over the curb.

Carbidetooth
01-04-2017, 11:14 AM
I wish I had a better photo, but there is indeed Rondec on both sides. This particular tile had no matching trims, so there really wasn't a choice.

97002hew
01-04-2017, 11:16 AM
thank for clarification.

Carbidetooth
01-04-2017, 11:19 AM
Did a little digging and found these;

97002hew
01-04-2017, 12:19 PM
I am attaching a picture to show why I am having the concern Rondec profile could trap water

97002hew
01-04-2017, 12:23 PM
sorry the text in the previous picture was blacked out somehow. All I wanted to say was the top of Rondec profile is a radius not flat like the picture showed (the picture was from Schulter website). There is always a dented seam even after grout between tile and profile. Did I miss anything here because many people use Rondec on shower curb without posting this issue?

Carbidetooth
01-04-2017, 12:33 PM
Dave, I just looked at my sample chain and they do have a flat area on top as shown in the drawing.

Most of the profiles are extruded aluminum, but I think there might be a stainless steel one that's probably press formed. Do you have Rondec in hand?

97002hew
01-04-2017, 12:47 PM
thanks Peter. I donot have it on hand. I will grab a picture from Lowes website from which I bought my Rondec. Maybe I got the wrong one?

97002hew
01-04-2017, 12:48 PM
Peter, if you look at the picture, the top is not flat.

jadnashua
01-04-2017, 02:00 PM
The original drawing you show is for the SS version which does not have the integral tile spacer. Because it is much more difficult to form, that part is omitted and the shape is not quite the same as those in plastic or aluminum which are a real 1/4-round shape.

If the top of your curb is slightly sloped, though, it wouldn't really matter with either of them...they should drain.

Carbidetooth
01-04-2017, 02:12 PM
OK, upon closer inspection some of the shorter profiles have what appears to be a constant radius but none turn down thus forming a vee in grout joint. The little diagonal tang you see is a spacer purposely put in as a tile spacer, grout fills that space above that.

You're likely to use 5/16 or 3/8 for most tile, and the fact is, I think we're splitting hairs, it's just never been an issue for me or many, many others.

FWIW there are some knockoffs of Schluter's stuff, but no experience there.

97002hew
01-04-2017, 02:13 PM
thanks a lot, Jim. I always suspected I might get the wrong profile. Your explanation cleared up pretty well for me.

97002hew
01-04-2017, 02:17 PM
so I guess a quadec (instead of rondec) will give a flat top surface.

Carbidetooth
01-04-2017, 02:23 PM
And a square corner.

jadnashua
01-04-2017, 03:38 PM
One thing to keep in mind, it doesn't hurt to fill the space of the back of the profile with thinset prior to installing it. This makes it less likely to be dented if something hard and heavy were to be dropped on it, and would eliminate a space where liquid water could accumulate (unlikely, but why offer it the opportunity!). This was a tip Schluter gave at one of their workshops I took awhile ago. And, it is very important to follow the installation instructions about cleaning the surface off well right after installing...curing thinset (or grout) on the finished surfaces can pit or haze the surface, and cleaning off cured stuff you might miss might damage the finish as well. Works fine if you sponge it clean after installation, though.

97002hew
01-04-2017, 07:18 PM
I really appreciate all the help I got. Upon close inspection, Rondec profiles do have kind of flat surface exactly as Peter showed. I think I have confidence to go ahead to install them. Thanks again esp Peter, Jim and all others.

97002hew
01-04-2017, 07:20 PM
Filling the hollow portion of Rondec profile is really a good idea. I would never even think of it without Jim's input. Thanks Jim.