New porcelain tile already scratches on it. [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : New porcelain tile already scratches on it.

piperpilot12w
01-02-2017, 11:55 PM
We just had 700 sq ft of 24 x 24 porcelain gloss tile laid down. My understanding is that porcelain is very hard and should resist scratching, but many pieces have scratches, in the gloss, that occurred during the installation. Many of the scratches are very fine, similar to the look of micro-scratches on the hood of a car in the sunlight, but there are quite a few that you can feel by running a finger nail across it. It's cream colored tile and the scratches are only noticeable at night when the lights reflect off the floor. Is this common when dealing with gloss tiles, or is it a weak porcelain coating? It was supposed to be a fairly high quality tile, made in Spain. Any thoughts???

Sponsored Links

Houston Remodeler
01-03-2017, 08:10 AM
Brent,

Welcome to the forum.

Got pics? Do you have a picture of the box label? know the name of the specific tile? Where did you buy it?

jadnashua
01-03-2017, 10:48 AM
Are the tile honed and polished, or do they have a glaze on them? If it's a glaze, the glaze is softer than the porcelain, and is essentially glass, which can be scratched MUCH more easily than the porcelain by itself. Just from being stacked together in the box, the glaze could get a little bit of wear on it. If you buy something like a polished marble or granite tile, they typically come packaged with the polished sides facing each pair, and often have a separator between them to eliminate scratching in packaging and transport...at least with my limited experience, I've not seen them do that with ceramic tile (any type).

piperpilot12w
01-05-2017, 02:08 AM
Thanks for the response. The tile is from Happy Floors. The site wouldn't let me list the address.

I've attached several pictures, along with the box and specs. We have the "Glossy". As they worked on the floor, the sections that had been down for at least a day, I carefully swept and used a soft sponge to remove any abrasive particles that were on the tile. I was trying to prevent any scratches that might develop while they walk over the floor. I looked over the floor carefully as it was going down and it seemed fine. I noticed that scratches were developing in the floor during the grouting. They used Fusion Pro grout.

The photo showing the floor with all the green pieces of tape are where I see scratches, some light, some that you can feel with the fingernail. It's a brand new floor and already has lots of scratches in many places.

Dave Gobis
01-05-2017, 09:27 AM
That is a glazed porcelain. It isn't the porcelain that is getting scratched.

evan1968
01-05-2017, 02:34 PM
That looks like polished porcelain.

Dave Gobis
01-05-2017, 04:16 PM
The label says glazed, and the tests they reference are glazed tests. GBL is a glazed, UGL is unglazed.

piperpilot12w
01-06-2017, 02:31 PM
I was unaware that porcelain tile could have a coating that would be susceptible to scratching. Rather disappointed to learn of this. Can't imagine what the floor will look after several years of use, particularly the kitchen, which will get a lot of traffic.

The other choice in this tile was listed as "Natural". It had a matte finish. Would that have been more resistant to scratching?

cx
01-06-2017, 03:32 PM
Welcome, Brent. :)

Lots and lots of glazed porcelain tiles out there.

If I'm reading the label correctly, the glossy tiles you have appear to have a Visual Abrasion Classification of III, which is Residential or Light Commercial. And it appears that had you gotten the Natural finish the Classification would have been IV, which is Commercial and maybe a little more scratch resistant.

My opinion; worth price charged.

jadnashua
01-06-2017, 09:54 PM
The reason they glaze porcelain tile is to give you multiple color/pattern choices. It is far less expensive to create interesting patterns with printing and glazing than it is in mixing the clay to get the desired results.

piperpilot12w
01-07-2017, 11:25 AM
We are going to redo the kitchen. Once the tile is laid down in the kitchen, I'm concerned about moving the refrigerator into position without scratching the glaze. Any ideas how to avoid this?

Carbidetooth
01-07-2017, 11:36 AM
This will make it almost fun, Brent. One local rental place has 'em around here.

http://airsled.com/